Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OR
City
Broomall
Hi, I am a 22 year old male who is going through a very anxious time. I recently graduated college, and will be heading to law school in the fall (which only adds to my anxiety). The reason I post here is because I have been having some concerns about my longterm health. My story is sort of the opposite of many others on this site. A month ago I was leisurely reading reading online (sometimes I like to browse wikipedia) when I stumbled upon ALS. I had heard of Lou Gherig's disease, but never knew how terrible it actually was. Stupidly I read the symptoms and, being the hypochondriac that I am, immediately began to brood over them. Suddenly I began to notice things about myself that I had not paid attention to before:
-Light twitching that occurs on and off every few days in arms, legs, hands, butt, back.. non-localized and only about 2 or 3 jumps per incident.
-My feet fall asleep rather easily when sitting at the computer, but get better after walking around.
-My ring and pinky fingers, sometimes on both hands, will fall asleep when arm is bent in certain positions.. Sometimes I'll wake up with my whole hand asleep.
-I wake up with sore shoulders and thighs.

I don't feel much weakness really, although I am constantly "testing" myself. I look like an idiot sometimes I swear.. I don't have trouble walking or picking things up (or doing things that require finger dexterity). I am able to do normal workouts, lifting weights and doing 1/2 hour of cardio. Maybe the workouts contribute to the soreness? I am just a wreck right now I guess. I have my yearly GP checkup next week. Maybe he'll help...

My advice: get off of the internet and enjoy your Summer before you have to spend all kinds of hours studying in law school. In my opinion, your symptoms aren't even on the ALS radar. If you are indeed a hypochondriac (as you say you are), then make an appointment with a neuro so he/she can give you peace of mind.

I'd also get those hands and feet checked out. If they fall asleep easily your doc will want to know that. It is likely something treatable but once law school starts you won't have time to attend to it. Plus if you need to make minor life-style changes, like how you sit or even your diet, you will want to do so because, when it comes to health, prevention is always the best option.

PS. If you smoke, quit while you are ahead. Finally, your bill for this consultation will be $500. :-D

Cindy,
LOL :grin: That consultation was worth at least $1500! ;-)
Great advice BTW.

Minava,
Just be sure to mention the things you mentioned here to your GP, but remind yourself that you hadn't paid attention to the things you mentioned prior to reading the Wiki article, that you are under alot of stress right now, and that you describe yourself as a hypochondriac. Try not to waste time obscessing over every little twitch, assess if there are pressure points on your legs from the chair you sit it in, assess your sitting posture. Perhaps you lean on your elbows for long periods of time when sitting at your desk. Make an assessment of habitual postures and maybe try the obvious things like change chairs, change the height of your chair, etc.
Good luck at your appointment next week.

Jane

I do have insanely bad slouching/posture while sitting, pronation in my feet, awkward sleeping positions.. the whole lot. I think I've come to grips with the whole situation. I don't know whether the fact that I have pain/tightness in my lower right back and legs are a bad sign, but considering I can still teach tennis 5 times a week and exercise should give me more confidence I guess. I will make sure to do what you said and mention how I've been feeling within the context of my recent stresses. It's hard growing up..

tennis

I dont have alot of input, but noticed you teach tennis. Did you see the nadal/federer wimleden? what an awesome match, I was up north in the house with the baby it kept me busy. I was rooting for nadal. Roger has won it 5x!

I am no doc but your symptoms dont sound close to als. My sister has mild twitching but none of the other symptoms that i have. Teaching/playing tennis is a good sign. I loved playing tennis and was playing on a club suburban travel team and in house legue 4x a week! one year later--to weak to play due to thigh weakness and aching calf. ( i may try with my husband and see what I can and can not do, test my ablitly).

Just a side note, when i am leaning on my elbows, my last 2 fingers fall asleep easy. I think that happens with alot of people. I am learing that I alot of folks have strange things going on, as i have been asking my big family things and they have little issues also. note-one of my sisters has been having horrible muscle cramps for months, i never knew untill asked!?

Good luck! You will have a stress of a time in law school, a few friends of mine went that route--alot of reading and researching.

GO TENNIS!

Yup. Get off the internet. That's what my husband's Neuro told us. You probably do not have ALS; Just extreme stress but see your doctor to rule things out.

i did see wimbledon... that's 4 finals federer's been beaten in by nadal. if nadal can stay healthy he could break the grandslam record before federer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back