00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Anaheim
Hey everyone.

Wanted to start with a thank you to all the people taking the time to answer questions in this forum. It is incredible and I look up to each and every one of you.

My symptoms started about a year ago. When I would go running, I would notice pain and cramping in my right leg, soon to be followed by a painful "numbness" forcing me to stop running.

More recently, I noticed constant muscle twitching in the left leg that lasted for a few days. Now it seems the muscle twitching has moved to more parts of my body, but the left leg is most noticeable.

I have noticed dexterity issues when it comes to typing, and have been clumsier and dropping things more than normal.

This past week, my neck has become incredible sore, almost as if holding it up is a burden and only really alleviates when I lay down.

Of course, Dr. Google told me I have ALS and now I am worried. Do I have anything to worry about? I think the neck pain is the one that is freaking me out the most.

Thank you so much!

I've never heard of your symptoms coinciding with ALS. Pain, numbness, all over aches, and all over twitching points away from ALS. Just a side note-Dr. Google did not say you had ALS- you assumed it did.

If this has been going on for a year, I assume you've gone to the doc for whatever is going on? What did he/she say? For peace of mind, please read the sticky at the top of this sub-forum called "IMPORTANT- Read Before Posting. That will answer questions as to what are and what are not ALS symptoms.

Best of luck to you and please stay safe.

Thank you so much for the reply.

You are very right, I assumed it and ran with it.

I have been to 3 podiatrists, and orthopedic surgeon, and a chiropractor and got a shoulder shrug from all of them.

I finally have an MRI scheduled and an EMG scheduled with my Neurologist.

I know the twitching all over points away from ALS which is comforting, but the pain/tightness in the neck when holding it up worries me. I know that can be a symptom of weakening muscles from ALS.

Not in your case it does not. Neck pain that comes along with ALS happens far, far into progression; it is not a starting point.

If you get an EMG, please feel free to post the results with all identifying info removed.

Good luck at the docs.

BestFriends is on point. In addition, if the EMG, MRI and neuro exam are clean, since you are a runner, I would re-evaluate the age and features of your shoes/insoles against your current surfaces.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie and Bestfriend,

Had the MRI yesterday and waiting for the results.

One thing I didn't mention before was my breathing issues. It takes VERY little to get me gasping for breath and feeling breathless. And I am a relatively fit guy.

Worried this could also be a symptom since I heard it can affect breathing, sometimes early on.

As mentioned before, once you get an EMG, post the results with identifying info removed. Since you have no ALS symptoms, posting before you get an EMG will not net you any information that would help you, as this is not a general health and/or a health anxiety forum.

Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back