Need time off to visit an ALS family member?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Cambridge. Good information. It may not be applicable for people outside Ontario but at least people will now know to ask and look for it.
AL.

For USA

Family Medical Leave (50 or more employees)

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

" * for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;
* for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
* to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
* to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition."

Thanks CJ. Glad to hear the US is looking after people in some ways too.
AL.

PFMLA - Paid Family Medical Leave Act

Hello-
I live in the state of California and recently took a leave of absence from work under the PFMLA to care for my Mom (diagnosed. with ALS 10/06). This law allowed me job protection and health benefits for 16 weeks and a % of pay (there is a cap) for 6 weeks. Important to note that the paperwork took some time to process through insurance company and state organizations so start the process early. Also, in order to qualify, your PAL must designate you as their caregiver - only one person may qualify. For example, my Dad cannot be receiving PFMLA at the same time I am. This was important for our family to know as I chose to take time off under PFMLA earlier than normal so that my Dad would have access to his PFMLA rights in the later stages of my Mom's progression.
While it is a tough decision to make emotionally and financially, it's good to check and see if there may be similar laws in place in your state.

Warm regards,
m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back