Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
The muscles that control my eye movement were affected pretty early for me. I have good visual acuity and can read well when I don't have to move my eyeballs much. As a result, I have not spent much time reading books over the last several years.

I do OK reading a computer screen, because I can adjust things so that I don't have to move my eyes much. By having a relatively narrow column of text and scrolling the text as I read, I can keep my eye movement within a range that works.

I decided to try reading a few paperback books over the last month. They are pretty light, so I can hold them OK. But, I have found that is too taxing on my eye muscles.

I don't think I can hold a larger tablet or Kindle device in a position that would be comfortable for reading.

Does anyone suggestions besides spending time in front of my computer?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Steve

Steve , I'm with you. I spend so much time on the computer that I don't want to read on it for pleasure. I listen to books on Audible for as long as I can stay awake. If I listen during the day, I move away from the computer and look out the window. At night my caregiver sets a sleep timer so it goes off after a half hour.

My suggestion: mount a tablet or phone in front of you using a claw or music stand type holder -- plenty are available to clip to furniture, your wheelchair, a tray, your bed, or a bed/couch table. Or use a tray or table with a tent-type case.

Then buy Voice Dream, a cheap app that will automatically advance the pages for you, at your speed, favorite font, font size, color, highlight color/range if desired, etc. It can also speak as it displays the book to you as well if you'd like, in your choice of voices, pitch, speed, etc.

It reads PDFs, Web pages, Office docs, etc. Many books are available via PDF or in your browser. There are also book repositories that provide free access to people with disabilities.

Steve,
I just love audible. I've used that service since 2000. It works on any format.

I also have a lap podium that is adjustable. You can sit on it and it tilts and rises. That would work with Voice Dream.

Already some great suggestions here. For reading, I use an iPad attached to a Brydge keyboard (the keyboard is quite heavy, so serves as a stand for the iPad, and the iPad can be adjusted on the hinges - I really don't use the keyboard to type anymore). I use the Kindle app on the iPad, and use the iPadOS Voice Control accessibility function to manage my book library, turn pages, Etc. I get digital books free from the local library or a service called Hoopla, or I buy them from Amazon. You could set up the format on the Kindle reader with a large font and/or a narrow page.

Quite a few people in my book club do use Audible, so they can do other things while listening. They all really like "reading" that way.

I use a Kobo as my main reading device for several years. They are a little pricey but have great functionality. I use the Kobo apps on my phone and computer as well. Calibre is a great free software for your computer or laptop as well. If handles books from multiple sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back