Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
My sister has PLS going on 7 years now; this winter season she has fallen several times getting in or out of my SUV mainly due to the slippery surfaces due to ice/snow. I am trying to figure out how to put something down on the surface that she will step on to get in/out of the car that will prevent her feet from slipping. I try to brace her feet with my foot bumped up against her feet but that doesn't always work.

I was thinking of some sort of non-slip mat or something that won't slip as easy went agains't ice/snow. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Greatly appreciate any help!

What kind of assistive device does she have? They have ice tips for canes and crutches.

She has a walker with wheels. I don't know if something for that would necessarily work either? She uses the walker to get to the car but then has to hang on to the car door to slowly lower herself into the seat, as she does that her feet keep slipping. I've thought of those wire shoe slip-ons but they aren't for inside use, so I would have to put them on her as she exits a building and then take them off her before she goes in. While I don't mind doing that for her she seems a little resistant to having me do that, especially when she goes into her workplace. I thought maybe some type of mat I could throw down at the car door would work but nothing seems to be quite the answer.

I'm trying to be aware of my sister's wants/needs, and I know I need to respect that she wants to do things her way, but when it comes to her safety I might just have to push the shoe thing for her sake, what do you think?

I thank you for your reply.

what about a small bag of grit in the boot of the car...doesnt take much to make a non slip area for her..and the bag should do mahy trips before needing a refill........jonnylateralthinker...

How about a rubber bath mat (the kind used inside a tub)? I used to keep one in the car for the dog to stand on so she didn't slip. Try the largest size you can find--catalogs have some much larger than standard.

Would it help if you steadied her with a gait belt? That's what we used for my husband before the days of the power wheelchair.

living in Alaska where there is always ice for about 6 months of the year...I use the wire studs that slip on and off my shoes. Even though when I get into the building I have to pause in the entry way to get them off. If her walker has a seat in it, she could use that to make it even easier. Safety is the number one thing. Johnnie's idea about the sand or grit is a good one too. You would have it in place for coming and going. A rubber mat sounds like it would slip even more so unless it has some sort of studs on the bottom to grip into the ice when pressure is placed on it.

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions! I had never heard of the gait belt and that might work, along with the sand, and/or tread shoes. She is pretty uneasy on her legs these days and we have a power wheelchair on order but no van to transport it in.

Again, thank you!

My husband has these things on his boots called Yaktrackx or something like that. It works great and I never have to worry about him slipping. You can put them on any shoes, the only thing is they will scratch wood if you have wooden floors which means he always has to take these boots at the door, which is fine with him. I will find the correct name and post later. Happy New Year!

here is the link to the product website, we got them at a local sporting goods store

YakTrax

I had trouble with ice in Boston, and I did 2 things: from the Walmart sporting goods dept, for about $4, I bought over rubber slips ons with ice cleats (tiny). They worked great, and were easy to put on and remove while sitting.
My podiatrist recommended New Balence ankle support shoes with special insets to correct for the prolapsed ankles. The tread was really non slip, and the high shoes helped support me. I once had to clamber (with help) over snow plow drifts to get to my doctor's office, and the sturdy, firm foundation of these shoes kept me from falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back