Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my user name to Michellele for some reason my michellelepc got messed up? I couldn't respond, I had also changed my email. Soooo basically if your husband has worked 5 out of the last 10 years he is eligible for Disability. You can go to the Social Security website which is SSA.gov and search their "listings" If you do not meet a "listing" which if he has not been diagnosed with an one thing as of yet probally not. You may have to go to a hearing but pain is def. considered a disability as well as fatigue etc. etc. If you do not meet a listing you can combine everything that is wrong with you to equal a listing.

Also you can get what is called a closed period of time if you are out of work or expected to be out of work for at least a year.

I would appreciate any feedback on whether I can obtain Social Security benefits or long-term disability while still using accumulated sick days. Unfortunately my long-term disability is minor. I foolishly did not increase my payment as my salary increased over the years.

I just wanted everyone to know that I am a paralegal for a Social Security Disability Attorney have been doing this for almost 9 years. If anyone has questions regarding getting on SSD the process etc. please feel free to ask me. God Bless you all. :)

Hi Michelle, I applied for help from Social Security. I was told no because I haven't worked for the last 8 years. I was diagnosed with ALS in Feb. I have been trying to get a talking device and my insurance doesn't pay for one either. My husband has worked all his life. I guess my question is. Is their any other way to get help through the system ? Thanks for any help... L

Re: Need SSD help? See post #11

Hi Michelle, I applied for help from Social Security. I was told no because I haven't worked for the last 8 years. I was diagnosed with ALS in Feb. I have been trying to get a talking device and my insurance doesn't pay for one either. My husband has worked all his life. I guess my question is. Is their any other way to get help through the system ? Thanks for any help... L

you may of applied for the wrong one try applying for ssdi there is a difference ..and the ss lady should of told you that

Hand in Hand I'm sorry for some reason I never got a notice of your msg. There are two programs for disability under the Social Security Administration. One is Social Security Disability SSD for short. This one goes by how much you paid into the system while working. You earn what they call "credits" you have to have so many earned to be eligible for this program. If you have enough credits then you can apply for this program but you still have to prove you are medically disabled. ALS is a disease that is on their compassionate allowances list which means you automatically get it. You get monetary benefits monthly based on an average of how much money you paid into the system while working. Everyone's monthly amount varies depening on how much you made and paid in. You get Medicare with this program it kicks in two years after the date of onset you are given by the Administration. So let's say you are diagnosed and six months later you get approved and they go back to the date of the medical record stating your diagnosis six months prior your medicare would kick two years from the diagnosis date. They also hold out the first 5 monts of your monetary benefits for what reason I have no idea after doing this for a long time.

Now the other program is Supplemental Security Income SSI for short. This is a program that goes by income and assets. It is almost like a welfare program for people who become disabled. So if you do not have too much money coming into your household (there is a chart they use that goes by how many kids etc) then you pass the first step. Then you can't have a retirement or a pension coming in or own several vehicles or properties etc. Since this program comes from the "pot" and you are not getting back money you actually paid in the government assumes you can sell off any assets you have fist to pay for your medical etc. Soooo if you pass all of that then and only then do they look at what is wrong with you medically. If you qualify on the income and assets then you would automatically get approved for ALS. The amousnt of monetary monthly benefits vary from state to state and depends on how much money is already coming into the household if any. So if you have a spouse who works but doesn't bring in more than the alloted amount for the amount of people in your family they would offset from what they bring in. As long as you qualify for at least $1.00 of monetary benefits you can get Medicaid which goes into effect the date they say you became disabled. They call this your onset date. This program does not hold out the first five months.

If you have any further question please feel free to ask me. Good luck and God Bless!

I am curious about LTD as well. I have it through my employer, but was curious if SSD
will cancel out my employer's LTD. My LTD is worth more than SSD. Roger, did you say you were getting benefits from both ? Also my daughter-in-law's sister is an attorney with a firm that specializes in SSD and she says that even though ALS is an automatic approval, the you still have to wait 2 years and 5 months for Medicare. So I am still confused. BTW, Roger, are you from Indiana? If so, you would be a good one for me to talk to if the rules vary from state to state.

I am still working full time, and plan to continue as long as I am able. Keeps me busy, a reason to get up in the AM and all that, but I want to know what my options are when the time comes.

Pam

my son only had to wait 6 months recieved 1st check in january and he also recieved the medicare with it and remember you have to apply for the other parts seperatley d is the prescription part. i believe any other reason you have to be on a year or year and a half

ALS is classified as a "TERI" (terminal) and you qualify for Medicare after 5 months. It can be retroactive to your DX, if you were not working and qualify for SSDI in work credits. My husband quit working in Dec 08, DX Sept 09, filed for SSDI, got first check 3 weeks later starting back to June 09, and Medicare was also June 09. The doctor said his ALS started before we ever went to the doctor, and they made it retro to Jan.Then the 5month waiting period, eligible for checks in June. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back