00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Lb
Hi all. 25 year old heathy male

Just wanted to say how thankful I am that there are beautiful people such as the mods who run this site who look out for others so selflessly. I’ve read the stickies and have tried to hold off from posting. However I have health anxiety and need to get my mind clear so I can finally put this in my past.

The last month I have been dealing with fatigue in my right arm from the forearm down, often correlating with pins in needles (i know sensory points away) in the 3rd and 4th fingers. I was also noting that while I was sleeping my arm would subconsciously raise to my chest in my sleep and be there when I woke up.. I became terrified of this and my mind quickly went to MS .. A brain and spine MRI showed no signs of MS just some bulging discs in my back and I felt relieved.

A couple days went by and my tight right arm led me to Doctor google where I started considering that My arm was perhaps spastic. It was around this time where I started feeling consistent twitching throughout the day all over my body but mainly my calves and thighs but specifically the same spot in my right calf. My pinky finger has felt more difficult to accurately control but my strength seems to be there. (Twitching began after weakness, potential spasticity)

fast forward a few, completely anxiety ridden days, and my arm seemingly feels better however my right calf feels weak and it’s almost impossible for me to stand on my right toes (where as I usually can)

does this sound like early onset ALS to anyone? To summarize

1) the potential spasticity in my arm

2) weakness and lack of control of pinky finger

3) weaker right calf (where most twitching has been) and in an inability to stand on my right toes as well as I’ve been able to in the past ( granted i strength test myself like crazy

4) an overall weak feeling ankle that * I feel like * has been giving me somewhat of a gait because my foot naturally isn’t pointing straight.

seeing a nuero in 2 days for a follow up from my MRI just wanted to get your guys opinions and/or what exactly I should ask the doctors.

PS. I Feel like I’ve noticed atrophy in my feet and hands, my right bicep also looks smaller than my left but I know pictures are deceptive and my mind is extremely anxiety riddled. Thank you all so much for your time

Hi there-

What you report does not fit the onset pattern of ALS. As you state, the sensory issues point away, as does the improvement of symptoms. While a feeling of "stiffness" is a part of spasticity, there is much more to it. It's a pattern of pathological responses to input and is really only something a doctor can assess.

I am thinking the upcoming neuro visit will reassure you as well. I would recommend against focusing on ALS in your discussion as that would mean time spent explaining why your symptoms are not that instead of creating an open discussion about what might be causing symptoms or what your next steps will be.

Good luck at your appointment.

My suggestions:

Ask your doc if you might benefit from a PT evaluation.

Ask yourself if finding out you had disk disease might have tripped you up emotionally. The mind has great power over the body.

Go for a nice, safely-distanced nature walk.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the responses guys. Saw the nuero yesterday and didn’t even bring up ALS. She told me fassics were normal, did a reflex test and told me I was “healthy as a horse.” My ankle still feels week and the bottom of my foot of the same leg still feels a little atrophied. I am finally receiving therapy and trying to get past this terrible fear. The twitching has already subsided somewhat already.. not letting myself check my tongue or continue this thought process in any way. Thank you all so much

Hey all. Has been about a mount and while my anxiety has be quelled somewhat since beginning therapy my fassics have gotten worse and i feel that I have progressive ankle weakness. I know ALS is failing not feeling but is it possible that i could be feeling my ankle muscle becoming weaker and heavier ?
Thanks for everything guys .. if you feel my posts are a waste of time feel free to delete. I just have been starting to get eaten up by fear once again this last month.

I think you've identified the biggest issue here- that of an overwhelming anxiety about your health getting the best of you. With health anxiety, the need for reassurance becomes an itch you must scratch. And like most itchy things, it will continue to itch, sometimes more so, when you continue to scratch it. Please visit with your doctor to help with your health concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back