Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Saskatchewan
City
Saskatoon
Hello everyone,

I would like to first thank everyone for posting and offering their opinions/advice in regards to ALS. It takes a lot of courage and strength to discuss such a terrible disease. Also, the fact that a majority of people posting here are currently living with such a terrible and devastating disease. However I have noticed how optimistic people are and the inspiration they provide to everyone else.

I have read the stickies and a lot of the posts and yet I am still not sure where I stand. Any help would be appreciated.

I should probably give some more information about myself. I am 31 year old male, father of a 10 year old, just got engaged last fall. We have a wedding planned for August. I work out about 5 days a week and am in relatively good shape.

Last year I noticed my arms were always exhausted. I couldn't keep my hands above my heads for more than a few minutes without the burning exhausting feeling. I really noticed when I would be speaking on my cell phone and I would have to constantly switch hands. I also notice this when I am combing my hair etc. I was getting massive headaches and just feel fatigued/tired all the time. I had twitching in my right and lift biceps consistently and mention that to my family doctor. She said it was normal which I believe it is.

I got a CT scan, saw my optometrist, got blood work done multiple times etc. and nothing came of it.

Although my headaches subsided, I still had that weak feeling in my arms. This has been going on for over a year now.

Fast forward to the past 2 weeks. I am still randomly twitching in my biceps. I was making supper and cutting some vegetables and chicken and after doing the continuous motion of cutting my hand cramped up really bad. I didn't think anything of it but the next morning my right hand was super sore and in pain. At first I thought maybe it was just my hand being sore from cutting so much food (I had cooked a lot of food that day) The soreness/cramping never went away.

A week ago I started noticing twitching in my legs now as well as cramping in both hands and feet. I have also noticed that my legs feel extremely fatigued. When I walk, I feel like I have to make an effort to not lose coordination and my legs feel exhausted. I thought maybe this was just perceived weakness but it is a struggle to even do calf raises, box jumps or anything I was used to doing in the past. I actually have to mentally prepare myself to do them because my legs are just that weak.

I am starting to notice the back of my neck is sore as in the muscles are exhausted. I have also had a consistent sick feeling and my appetite is half of what it used to be. My body still feels extremely fatigued especially in my arms, legs and shoulders. I have also noticed a shortness of breath, when performing any physical activity. This includes walking up and down stairs. My sleeping patterns haven't been an issue but when I do lay down, my feet have gotten cramps, tingly and itchy, Headaches are back but could be related to the back of my neck feeling fatigued.

My hand is still cramping however I don't believe I have lost a bunch of dexterity. I can still button my shirt, turn a lock etc. However, I definitely feel like there is some nerve damage etc. The twitching is still going on in both arms and legs.

My workouts at the gym have been the same but it seems like it just takes that much more effort to replicate the same results. I am lifting the exact same amount of weight but it is a complete struggle especially with longer breaks in between. Even walking around the gym to get to the weights has been a struggle as my legs are exhausted and shakey. From what I've read on here, being able to do less isn't a sign but physically not being able to do previous tasks is a sign. However muscle weakness is a symptom and from other published cases ie. Steve Gleason etc. this was a symptom for them.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a Neurologist but he said a lot of my symptoms are benign but he says the best course of action is an EMG. I have been waiting for the call from the University that does the EMGs but have been having terrible anxiety and super worried. He had also mentioned possibly Carpal Tunnel Syndrome but we still don't know for sure. (However that would not explain the cramping in the other hand and feet) The cramping in my right hand comes and goes though which is a good sign.

I haven't received the results on the X-Rays (which I don't think anything will show up) and my blood work. I recently had blood work done a couple of months ago for additional life insurance (kind of ironic) and everything they tested for came back clean. Because of this I am starting to think this is definitely a neurological issue.

I don't believe I have a family history of ALS but I do have a history of kidney disease as my mother passed away from it. A lot of my family do not live in North America so I can't even ask them about any history of it.

Just need some reassurance as my fiancee and I are extremely worried and she already has major anxiety issues which is being medicated.

Thank you so much.

I can reassure you that you do not describe the onset of ALS at all :)

Lots going on. But not ALS. While you can find symptom A and B under "ALS," you can also find those symptoms under a bunch of diagoi

As Tillie said, no ALS there. Might not be neuro related. See a Internist or Internal Medicine doc.
Both of you with anxiety? Oy vey. Good luck

Thanks for the responses.

Legs are even weaker today and neck muscles are exhausted but hoping these symptoms go away. Still twitching like crazy and cramping and muscles are all fatigued.

Went into the hospital. They ran extensive blood work and X-rays. Did a physical exam on reflexes etc.

Everything came back good. CK levels were a little higher than normal but not drastically.

Still waiting to get in for the EMG.

Let us know after the EMG has been reviewed and you have discussed with your neurologist. I'm sure it will not show up ALS, but hopefully will point in the right direction for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back