Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
florida
City
orlando
Hey everyone, I am new in these forums and have not been diagnosed with anything, but I am very scared about some of my symptoms and want to know if they are similar initial symptoms that anyone has had with als or am i just worrying too much. I am 24 years old and about 8 months ago I got a new job and started having crazy anxiety but what worried me the most was leg weakness. My knees and calves would be very stiff and weak and it seemed when i would be walking that they would just give up at any time. When i would wake up in the morning they would be very weak and at my job i would be standing for a while and when trying to walk they would be very stiff.My doctor said it was just stress and anxiety and soon the leg symptoms would go away. A few months later the leg weakness and stiffness came back when i switched jobs again. They lasted about a month and actually were not as bad as the first time and went away again. My anxiety however got worse, I was always dizzy, unable to concentrate, nausea was there all the time, had panic attacks and a bunch of other symptoms. The doctor then put me on lexapro for the anxiety and it just seems that everything got worse. I started having neck stiffness and cramps, upper back pain, my leg weakness came back and seems worse, nausea all the time, but the thing that scares me the most is sometimes in the morning I wake up and my whole body is extremely weak and i am very disoriented. The last couple of days the weakness has centralized in my right leg and i always have these bubbling sensations in my calves. I have no idea whats going on and my doc keeps saying its anxiety, i dont know anymore because the lexapro doesnt seem to be solving it. I get very scared that it could be a nerve disease or something and I just wanted to know if some of you could shed some comments on my situation. I would appreciate it greatly! Thank you for your time!

Hi massurfer1. First there are no doctors here. You just get opinions. Some educated some not. So here's mine which could be the first of many. I don't think you have to worry about ALS. That being said, you could have a Neurological problem that is simple or curable. The weak body and disorientation are strange. I'd try to get the doc to try something other than the Lexapro and ask for an appointment with a good Neuro. Try to find something to get rid of some of the stress in your life.
AL.

Thanks

Thank you Al for replying to my post. I also forgot to mention that when i wake up in the morning i am also really shaky with my weakness, do you think that could be all related to the lexapro? I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I will ask him about seeing a nuero doctor. Thank you for your opinion and I will be praying for everyone.

As always, I'm going to agree with Al: that doesn't sound like ALS. Your symptoms appear to correlate with the stress in your life, so that is problem number one you have to solve. That is certainly easier said than done, but maybe not thinking you have ALS will be a start. Your symptoms getting worse with Lexapro would also point to . . . well . . . Lexapro causing your weakness. Many anti-depressants have that as a side-effect, especially some of the generic forms. I would tell your doc that your symptoms got worse while on it and I'm sure he/she will put you on something else.
Having said all of that: you probably don't want to put all of your eggs into the "anxiety" basket. I would get a full check-up by your GP and maybe a neuro to be on the safe side (not because you have ALS but because you might have something else going on that needs to be treated). In the meantime, try to relax more.

P.S. Stress and anxiety are notorious for causing leg weakness . . . that is . . . "weak in the knees feeling."

Hey Wright. Who you trying ti kid? You don't " always" agree with me. Just when I'm right. LOL. How are you these days. School almost out for you?
AL.

You must have me mixed-up with someone else, Al. I don't EVER recall disagreeing with you . . . unless of course you were wrong. :-D
The Summer session just started last week, but I only have to teach one class. The Summer shouldn't be too bad and I get a couple of weeks off toward the end of August.
As for my health: I had another flare-up in April but I'm slowly recovering from that. I'm told it's going to be a long road, but I'm certainly not going to complain about it.
And how are things with you, my friend? I've noticed you are on here more. I hope that's a good sign.

i am 25 close to your age and am worried with cramping in legs and hands but i also have random full body twitching and a lot of weight loss.

Not sure but maybe being off the lithium has perked me up or maybe it's summer reruns on TV that have driven me back. LOL.
AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back