Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hello all,

First I apologize if this is the wrong place to post, as my questions arent really about direct research, I dont know where to post.

Before I post my question, I think a bit of a background to why I post this, is needed. I am a biomedical engineer student at a university working on developing a low cost eye tracking system with a few other students. As you all know, the cost of commercial products are really expensive and even with support are still too much. So the goal is to have one cheaper that can be mass manufactured, so even individuals that cannot obtain support can still have one. As well, to create an improved communication interface so people can have meaningful conversations without being left out or by the time they finished, the topic has moved on. Thus, I would love to have some feedback or suggestions if anyone got some ideas that I left out below or was not clear about.

Anyhow, if anyone who uses eye tracking can help provide me some feedback of commercial eye tracking systems, such as the ones by Tobii, Smartnav, DynaVox, or any others ; I would really appreciate the help. Basically I would like feedback on the usage of such systems, i.e. the feel and what is good and what is bad with the particular system. Specifically I would like some more in depth information about the following:

1. do you prefer blinking to act as a click to activate a function, or dwelling(resting your eye at a spot and after the specific time it will count as a click)

2. using it to type, as from what I read, most are on screen keyboards in which you have to type individual letters(some have auto fill-in) but the overall procedure to type out meaningful and structured sentences is still lacking. (also I have read that a lot have said the by the lack of good typing you have not been able to keep up with the conversation). So this part is I would like some comments on how the typing to talk is and what you would want or like improved.

3. the voices, they do not contain feelings behind that you would want to convey and sometimes hard to get your real point across. I would like some feedback on the voices part.

4. The screen, most of them are attached to a monitor either through a desktop or a laptop, does this get in the way of seeing the conversation or any other feedback about the viewing. As well would a projection image on a surface do instead(such as on the wall or ceiling) instead of having a monitor that is fixed there. ( this is not really thought out as mobility versus environment versus cost all contribute but if there is anything about this that you feel would help people with ALS)

These are the major things I could think of right now, but if there is anything I missed please tell me, like extra functionality that you want to have with the system. What we have as priority is to design and make a low cost eye tracker with easy and intuitive communication abilities. Of course this is what we hope to achieve, but all might not be as planned but me and my group are very enthusiastic about this, so we hope for the best. Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back