Learn about ALS
Country
SA
State
Durban
City
Durban
Dear All,

Im glad i found this forum since it helps so many people like myself address questions regarding our symptoms, thanks to all you wonderful people.

I really need your advice regarding some issues i have been facing for the past several months, in the summer i started to experience heaviness in my arms which i was not used to and alarmed me, after which i decided to go see a doctor about it, my doctor could not explain it so sent me to see a Neuro, at first the Neuro gave me some Vitamins and said i have a Vitamin D deficiency but at the same time said most people with office jobs such as myself have the same issue since we dont get enough sunlight, i kept taking the vitamins and my levels came up but the symptom's didn't improve, then around Aug some twitching started which was in various places in my body, so i went back to the doctor and when they heard the words twitching and some weakness they right away sent me for an MRI, that was clear but since it still didn;t answer questions they did further blood work like ANA and thyroid test which were normal, last came the EMG and Nerve conduction, i went in for that in September and the doctor doing it said everything looked good and didn't find any abnormalities, tho for the EMG test he only did one side of my body and said he didn't need to do the other side as he didn't find any issues, however he did Nerve conduction on both sides. Now its been over a month and a half but my symptoms are not better and worse in some cases, the twitching is constant, certain parts of my body twitch more than other like my right foot, left calf and thigh and left shoulder blade, i also notice that sometimes i don;t pronounce words correctly but i have checked my tongue and don't notice any wasting or quivering like the ALS patients i have seen on youtube, just some minor fasculations, i can eat and swallow but at times do have issue due to GERD, get breathless at times as well. Now for the past week i have noticed that my right leg feels more weak and my heel hurts, i haven't been able to notice any changes in walking as yet but can feel something changing, i am still able to walk on my tip toes and heels tho, my toes hurt as well sometimes and i feel like my toe fingers curl up at times, apart from that i have also noticed some weakness in my left arm, my Biceps in both arms feel stressed and sore but right feels worse, i can still hold things such as my tea cup or keys or button up my shirt but i do notice that sometimes it gets a little clumsy, my ring and pinky fingers hurt a bit as well and i do get aches and pain in my hands as well as other parts of my body like my legs and neck, back etc. my hands feel a bit stiff as well but not the kind of stiffness that doesn't go away. i have been taking various vitamins such as Q10 , b2, D and Magnesium but they arn't seem to be helping much.

I went to a few other doctors but they can't say or do much, most of them told me to wait and see but its affecting my quality of life as we speak and i would like to get some closure or answers on how to deal with it. Most people said its probably BFS but i am not sure if the symptoms i described could be caused by that, do i need another EMG ?

I would really appreciate any answers.

Pain= not ALS. Your neuro said he didn't see anything, run with that. This forum is full of people who would kill to have a neurologist tell them that.
Vincent

James, you described many subjective symptoms, mostly involving the sensory nervous system.
However, ALS is objectively diagnosed and involves the motor nervous system.
Your EMG was successful. I suggest your next doctor should be a psychiatrist.
You don't have ALS.

Thanks for your feedback, im sorry that i have taken up your time and i know that i may have a case of paranoia but unfortunately certain doctors have not helped me ease my symptoms and it has kept me worried. As i mentioned my hand symptoms just started and my right hand has issues with writing and holding a fork as well, my pinky and ring finger feel weaker and a bit numb, my left hand feels stiff as well, and i have twitching in my stomach on both sides and seems like the rib cage is sore which i have never had in the past 4 months but just started recently along with the breathless feeling, i cant sleep well at night either and seems like the twitching might be waking me up, i have twitching on my face as well on my cheeks especially the right one with soreness, anyways regardless of all that i appreciate your answers and pointing me in a positive direction, i will always pray for everyone on here and hope that they can find a cure or proper treatment someday soon.

Thanks for your feedback, im sorry that i have taken up your time and i know that i may have a case of paranoia but unfortunately certain doctors have not helped me ease my symptoms and it has kept me worried. As i mentioned my hand symptoms just started and my right hand has issues with writing and holding a fork as well, my pinky and ring finger feel weaker and a bit numb, my left hand feels stiff as well, and i have twitching in my stomach on both sides and seems like the rib cage is sore which i have never had in the past 4 months but just started recently along with the breathless feeling, i cant sleep well at night either and seems like the twitching might be waking me up, i have twitching on my face as well on my cheeks especially the right one with soreness, anyways regardless of all that i appreciate your answers and pointing me in a positive direction, i will always pray for everyone on here and hope that they can find a cure or proper treatment someday soon.

I've had pretty much all your symptoms (plus more) for months now and don't have ALS (yes, I've had weird sensory symptoms, yes, breathlessness, yes, very noticeable and major twitching everywhere including the face and stomach and pretty much everywhere there's a muscle, and yes, a wonky left leg and feeling of weakness). All of this can be explained by BFS and hypersensitivity due to anxiety.

Sorry to hear you are suffering from similar symptoms, today was a bad day for me as my right foot feels stiff and i have really bad pain in my left knee and left shoulder blade as well as my neck, i took a nap and woke up feeling like i couldn't move my left arm, took a few minutes to get sensation back in it. Both arms still feel weak... wish i could figure out what was going on.

James you've been answered clearly and veryscared has also.

Try a BFS forum where you can chat about your health issues. This is an ALS forum.

Best wishes in sorting out your health issues. It's best to stay away from here now, it honestly will not help either of you to keep coming here and thinking about ALS.

Your fears are understandable BUT your EMG was clean; that puts ALS out of the equation for good. An EMG can find denervation in muscles far before you even feel weakness SO clean EMG = No ALS; Not possible.

Aren't you lucky..:?:

I'd give my legs up for a clean EMG as would many of those on here suffering from this monster.

ANXIETY.. Plain and simple.

Thanks for all your feedback, i truly appreciate all the advice you have given me and i will not be troubling you with any further questions regarding ALS , i really respect you guys for taking time out and answering back to people like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back