need logistic help for toileting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting the pictures. It gave me some ideas for down the road that I hadn't considered.

Thanks for posting the pictures. It gave me some ideas for down the road that I hadn't considered.
Same here! The photos of the bathroom really help me visualize. I don't have any more space than you, so it can work. So the chair doubles as shower, toilet, and lift all in one?

Chair is toilet and shower. Patient lift (sometimes called a hoyer lift) is a separate device and fits in my walk in closet

I live in my recliner/lift chair that I control hands free from my computer. Luckily I have managed to train myself with about 99% accuracy to go to the toilet for #2 at the same time every morning. I wear very loose fitting flannel pants (no underwear) with a modified fly ( added velcro to and extended the opening about 1-1.5 inches down) For #1 I use a urinal and raise the lift chair up high to give me a nice angle down. I'm thinking this would be workable with the right shaped funnel for a women. For trips to the toilet I use a u sling, tilting shower/toilet chair and a patient lift. Goes like this :
1) lift chair up, caregiver in front
2) pants pulled down on both sides - no need to go all the way just down on the sides/hips
3) while leaning forward on caregiver, sling is placed behind my back
4) lift chair is lowered down into a normal upright seating position
5) sling placement is finished - under the legs
6) patient lift hooked up and raised up - and pants can be tugged down farther
7) toilet chair under, tilted back. Lower in place.
8) sling removed from under my legs/butt, we leave it behind my back. Pants at this point should be only be slightly under the legs and come right off. Toilet chair moved upright and off to the bathroom
9) putting pants back on requires some patience but not much force. You have to work them up as far as you can before putting the sling back under the legs. Do this with toilet chair tilted back to reduce the weight on the butt. Helpful to bunch the pants legs up as high as possible first
10) While in the air, pull pants up farther
11) once back in the chair we remove legs part of sling and chair is raised back up and sling is completely removed from behind my back, we give the pants a little tug more while we are there
12) chair is put in zero gravity position and backrest reclined far back - a little tug on the waste of the pants simultaneously pulls them up more if needed and gets me properly slid back in the chair. Then get into a comfortable position and fix/un-bunch pants legs

Sounds like a lot of work, but the chair and hoist do all the heavy parts and the time from chair to toilet is less than 5 minutes. I'm 5'9" 155-160#, caregiver is 4'11 115#

All my best, Jim

thanks for writing that out. I have tried it a couple times now and every time we pull my pants up over my bum while hanging in the sling, step10,my pants give me a huge weggie. Do you have any other tips.
much appreciated

Some people use adaptive pants that have snaps on the top part of the leg. It's less weight to "tug" at the last step.

Last edited:
thanks for writing that out. I have tried it a couple times now and every time we pull my pants up over my bum while hanging in the sling, step10,my pants give me a huge weggie. Do you have any other tips.
much appreciated
I know what you mean. Because of the sling there is only so far you can go before a wedgie. While I am up in the air my goal is to get the thick waist band just high enough that it's past the sticking point so that when I am seated and reclined way back, a tug on the waist with 2 hands will get them up the rest of the way.

I know what you mean. Because of the sling there is only so far you can go before a wedgie. While I am up in the air my goal is to get the thick waist band just high enough that it's past the sticking point so that when I am seated and reclined way back, a tug on the waist with 2 hands will get them up the rest of the way.
haha thanks. I'll try that

This is a very helpful thread. I am transferred rag-doll style with a fancy belt morning and night, and use a female urinal in between. While in Florida, going commando worked well, and at worst we had a diaper to pull out once I was seated. Now heading back north I anticipated clothing would be necessary and sent away for adaptive pants, with the flap. Smallest size they had was so huge, I sewed seams down each side, decreasing size by about 8 inches, and they are still super huge and bulky. Does anyone know of a source for appropriately sized adaptive pants? Maybe for youth or big kids? I have had no luck finding any on line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back