Status
Not open for further replies.
30-day Social Security process

We called SS in April, saw the local office with the following papers in hand, and within 30 days, we had received our first SSA benefit deposits and a Medicare Card. The fast track is this: "ALS is a Compassionate Allowance Condition needing a Quick Disability Determination"

(Someone might be confusing this with another fast-track program called TERI--Terminal something. That's NOT the right one.)

This is how we did it.

I wrote a single page to take with me to the SSA office, and set in on the counter for myself and the SSA worker to see as we spoke. I had a stack of papers, mainly medical records, highlighted where two neurologists had written "Diagnosis: ALS."

<big bold words for everyone to focus on:>
<QUOTE>Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
is a
Compassionate Allowance Condition
needing a
Quick Disability Determination

This disease is rapidly terminal.

An SSDI determination can be made immediately without delay according to POMS Section DI 23022.100
<END QUOTE>

Here's the action checklist I used:
To Do: Call Social Security to make an appointment
Go to: Local Social Security Office.

To Bring:
1. Social Security Form SSA-827 "Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration" (sign it, have a witness sign it)
2. Adult Disability Report - not sure I actually had this
3. Disability Benefit Application
4. SSNs and Social Security Cards for all family members
5. DD-214 for veteran (not sure this was needed, but I carried it everywhere)
6. W-2 from last year
7. Names and addresses for all your jobs during the last 5 years (Seriously. They're going to call every employer to verify.)
8. Birth certificates for all family members
9. Checkbook with ABA and Account Numbers and a voided check (So they know where to send payments)
10. Medical Records with patient ID #, address, phone and treatment dates for all doctors (They'll contact each doctor.)
11. Test results and names of the ordering physicians (We had our EMG report ready for SSA to copy.)
12. Medicines and the names of the prescribers (We used nothing)

Question to Ask:
A. Ask about benefits for spouse who cares for children under 16.
B. Ask about benefits for children under 18.

Disease is Rapidly Worsening
Oct 2010 Patient was healthy, active, strong and mobile
Nov 2010 First Symptom: Right foot weakness
Dec 2010: Diagnosed with ALS
Jan 2011: Needed a cane to walk
Feb 2011: Needed a walker full time
Mar 2011: Confined to a wheelchair
Apr 2011: Both legs are totally useless
-- Right arm is very weak
-- Left arm is getting weak

SO THERE IT IS. In a few weeks, we were receiving over $3000 every third Wednesday. Your mileage may vary.
-- Take a drink and candy bar with you, cause you'll be there an hour. They said you could do this over the phone and just drop off some other papers, but I did it all in-person. Get the name and number of every SSA person you speak with.
Be aware that, upon death, you'll need to inform them so they can stop paying you, and then they'll take back any overpayments.

we started the paper work right away... there was a 5 months from disability wait, but then the first check was backed up to first day of disability. (Don't try to figure it out.. it'll make your brain hurt.) We received the medicare card in the same mail as the receipt for the first auto deposit.

how do you apply for the back pay? My checks don't start until the end of june (payment for May). i could really use the money.

So glad you are going to get a 2nd opinion with a nuero who specializes in ALS. I spent 6 mo with one who didn't before I got a 2nd opinion with one who did. I drink Ensure Plus and it does help me gain weight...3 lbs this month. Good luck with this!

Judy

SUSAN10: Backpay is automatic, and is the first or second deposit they make. Should be explained on the letter they send to notify you of the approval. If you didn't get it, call them.

We got a call late last night from my husband's primary. The message said to come to the office Monday for treatment because the thyroid test came back and he does have hypothyroidism. OMG- could all of these symptoms be from this. I don't want to set myself up for another disappoinment. My husband and I cried all night last night.

I would like to thank you for suggesting getting his thyroid checked. I have been searching for 6 months on getting everything checked and I missed this. How can three doctors miss this? I guess if you are a hammer all you see is nails.
I will keep you posted.

I wanted to start the process early when I was working, but was told SS would deny if still working. So I got my nuerologist to write a letter and took it to benefits office at work. Started the process of disability retirement. Thank goodness I had enough sick days and leave to carry me through. I am off all summer and get paid (school). So stopped working in may, got paid during the summer as usual and got leave pay for sept,oct.,nov.
I filed online for SS and went to the office the day after I stopped working in May(on sick leave). The 6 month waiting period is the fast track for ALS. I spent a lot of time filling out paperwork, but was worth it. i got my 1st SS check a few weeks after my leave ran out. Then my disability retirement started. What a relief to my husband and I that we did not have to worry about finances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back