need information amino acids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaine

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you are taking amino acids, if so do they help?
What about CO Q10?
A friend of mine said I should take these , they are suppose to put oxygen in the cells
I would appreciate all of your knowledge on this matter.
Thanks , and all of you keep well. Elaine

Coenzyme Q10

Coenzyme Q10 is used by cells to produce energy needed for cell growth and maintenance. It is also used by the body as an antioxidant. An antioxidant is a substance that protects cells from chemicals called free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive chemicals that can damage important parts of cells, including deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA).

I was supplimenting my diet with Coenzyme Q10 (and bunch of other vitamins too numerous to mention). I DO believe it helped. Unfortunately pills are hard for me to swallow now and I had to find a liquid multi-vitamin source.

My main focus is to look at my diet as a "whole"...
I try to keep a BALANCED approach making sure I have 6-8 glasses of water per day, suppliment my diet with good NATURAL multi-vitamin and BM's daily.
The only reason I mention BM's is....(not trying to be gross)
You should ask yourself these very simple questions...
1. How many meals a day do you have?
2. How many BM's do have daily?
(If you eat 3 meals...you should have 3 BM's....right)

If you aren't going to the washroom at least ONCE daily...Ask yourself this:
How long would I leave meat on my kitchen counter before it would go bad?
Then ask yourself (assuming the avg person takes 8 hours to properly digest their food):
How long should meat/food remain in my Gastro-Intestinal Tract (at a considerably warmer temp than room temperature)?

Which brings me to my point...
Supplimenting your diet (with CoQ10, Creatine, Vitamin E, etc.) is a good thing.
Just make sure to be balanced in your approach and not be focused one suppliment vs another.
And...
If your Gastro-Intestinal Tract / Digestive System isn't working as it should...Then your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs and you might be wasting money on suppliments your body won't receive. (It's kind of like changing the oil in your car but not the oil filter...sure, you've given the engine what it needs to operate properly, but because the filter is dirty...the engine never gets the proper(clean) oil to run properly. The engine will run, but for how long without causing problems)
A VERY simplistic view/approach/explanation I know...But does it make sense?

I'm not a doctor...I've done alot research on diet and chronic illness and this seems to work for me, as I (for the most part) feel great after 2+ years.

Hope it helps... :shock:

That's a great way to look at it. Now, the question is how to get someone who generally has a terrible diet, to eat better. If he'd just rather grin and bear it (the symptoms) rather than try to do things that might help?

How to get someone to change their eating habit(s)...

Simple enough...

I WAS an "Eat fast food 5 times a week" type of guy for years (before my diagnosis).
Poor diet isn't just a case of "it'll make you fat" or "cause a heart attack" anymore.
Have him rent/watch the movie Super Size Me
http://www.supersizeme.com/home.aspx?page=aboutmovie
It should give you a whole new attitude towards FASTFOOD and poor diets in general.

About the movie...
Why are Americans so fat? Find out in Super Size Me, a tongue in-cheek - and burger in hand -- look at the legal, financial and physical costs of America's hunger for fast food.
Ominously, 37% of American children and adolescents are carrying too much fat and 2 out of every three adults are overweight or obese. Is it our fault for lacking self-control, or are the fast-food corporations to blame?
Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock hit the road and interviewed experts in 20 U.S. cities, including Houston, the "Fattest City" in America. From Surgeon Generals to gym teachers, cooks to kids, lawmakers to legislators, these authorities shared their research, opinions and "gut feelings" on our ever-expanding girth.
During the journey, Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules:
1) No options: he could only eat what was available over the counter (water included!)
2) No supersizing unless offered
3) No excuses: he had to eat every item on the menu at least once
It all adds up to a fat food bill, harrowing visits to the doctor, and compelling viewing for anyone who's ever wondered if man could live on fast food alone.
The film explores the horror of school lunch programs, declining health and physical education classes, food addictions and the extreme measures people take to lose weight and regain their health.
Super Size Me is a satirical jab in the stomach, overstuffed with fat and facts about the billion-dollar industry besieged by doctors, lawyers and nutritionists alike. "Would you like fries with that?" will never sound the same!

Thanks for all the information. Are you also taking riluzole?
I've been reading the posts and some say it makes no difference and yet some say it does. I'm not on it yet and I was wondering if it's a good idea . I'm going to the clinic next month and would like to prepare myself with some information from you and the rest of the crew that have been posting on this board.
Keep well, Elaine

:shock: I saw "Supersize Me" It was fantastic.....well, fantastically scarey! The fact that he had almost pickled his liver before the month was up and the doctor was advising him to quit really made an impact. I've been trying to eat healthier (specifically, less fast food) since seeing that.
-me-

Riluzole...

I was offered the Riluzole test program (twice).
The first time...
Was my 1st visit to the clinic. Got all the info (possible benefits, possible side effects, etc.). Asked my family what they thought I should do.
I thought and thought about it...For me, the answer was No...
I don't believe the possible side effects were worth POSSIBLY extending my life by (an avg of) 3 months. Why would I want to hurt one part of my body to help another?
The 2nd time...
The Neurologist gave me the whole song and dance..."If you were my family member, I'd really recommend you take Riluzole...blah, blah, blah".
Problem was...he NEVER looked me in the eyes/face while telling me about Riluzole. My thought was, "If you want me to be your Guinea Pig...talk to me, not the wall behind me." Who's concience would it benefit...His (because he has nothing else to offer) or mine?

I found out (recently, from one internet source) that Riluzole was originally developed to combat/prevent DWARFISM! (still trying to confirm this fact/myth)(I'm 6'3"...dwarfism is not an issue :D )

Bottomline...
Go with your Gut feeling...
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Do the benefits out weigh the risks/side effects?
2. Will the Riluzole(or any pharmeceutical) help YOU...or help your doctor sleep at night?

Since my diagnosis (July 02), I have taken NO medication(s) what so ever.
I just get my annual Flu shot. :shock:

More wisdom? from Al. To Melissa: I find that if someone prepares my meals (Lee) I eat better. She tries to follow weight watchers and the food guide. We both like all veggies raw and uncooked so maybe that makes it easier for her. Being of Irish descent I do like my meat and potatoes and my red wine. Red wine is healthy right? Lee is the pasta eater so I guess we could stop at Carol's. Lee eats the pasta and I drink the wine. To Elaine: I take Riluzole mostly because the Neurologist suggested it and so far it hasn't hurt me as far as I know. Get my blood tested regularly. Not sure if it is helping though either. The dwarfism thing sounds like something out of Urban Legends. I started taking Creatin this week and was already taking CoQ10, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Just found mixed tocopherol Vit E last week so started to take it rather than the regular Natural Source. I got the flu and pneumonia shot this year. Hope this gives you food for thought as they say. Oh and as an afterthought I'm a pretty regular kind of guy as Mike would put it.

The bottom line is: no one really knows if it works.I'm going to try the Cretine and CoQ10 already taking vitamin E and a multi vitamin have to wait and see if I'm going to take Riluzole.I really don't think I will , time will tell...
Mike where did you get the three months more life expectancy from?
Really , if that's all you get why bother taking it.
Healthy food is good.,,,, but there's going to come a time when we won't be able to eat what we want to . I say savor everthing now and enjoy what you like to eat and drink{ of course in moderations}
That's what life is all about Good Friends ,Good food, Good drink,
a Good loving family and for sure a really Good forum like this one.
Thanks for your input Al and Mike.
Keep well, Elaine

Al - that's for the wisdom....I think you're right about that one. Usually if I do prepare a meal he'll eat it. We have just been so busy. But, I am trying to find different ways around that (like cooking ahead on the weekend, crock pot, etc). Maybe we need Lee in this group! How does she do it? :) Sometimes I wonder if I'm strong enough to keep up with this stuff.

Anyway, I am also trying to buy different health foods (such as flax seed, etc) that I can sneak into the food I cook also. I found that vitamin E and B12 come in liquid form. I was wondering if that can be added to cooked food or will that reduce the effectiveness. Hmmmm, I'm going to do some research but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

I'm also trying to dress up the healthy foods by making things like baked apples, apple crisp, and pumpkin pie. At least the vitamins are there!

Elaine - you're right about enjoying the foods now. That's kind of his philosphy. One of those people that figures we're all going to die some day so you might as well enjoy it. I don't want to go to the opposite end of the spectrum, but.....I guess I like to be in control and changing your diet is one way to at least feel in control.

Al - my posting above is supposed to start with "thanks for the wisdom"! -me-

Actually I was joking about the wisdom. The 3 months comes from different sources. I have read at least 6 different studies? about how long Riluzole is supposed to stave off being put on a vent or the other alternative. It has been from 3 months to 18 months. I take it so I'm hoping for the 18 month study to be right. So who do you believe? I don't know. Read as much as you can so at least you can make an informed rather than an emotional decision. There are many emotions involved with this thing but with knowledge comes strength.

A True Story

Jerry was the kind of guy you love to hate. He was Always in a good mood and always had something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "if I were any better I would be twins!" He was a unique manager because he had several waiters who had followed him around from restaurant to restaurant. The reason the waiters followed Jerry was because of his attitude. He was a natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad day, Jerry was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation. Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to Jerry and asked him, "I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all the time. How do you do it?" Jerry replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, Jerry, you have two choices today.You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood. Each time something bad happens, I can choose to b a victim or I can choose to learn from it. Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life." "Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested. "Yes, it is,"Jerry said. "Life is all about choices. when you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people will affect your mood. You choose to be in a good mood or a bad mood. The bottom line: it's your choice how you live life." I reflected on what Jerry said.
Soon thereafter, I left the restaurant industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that Jerry did something you are never supposed to do in a restaurant business: he left the back door open one morning and was held up by three armed robbers. While trying to open the safe, his hand, shaking from nervousness, slipped off the combination. The robbers panicked and shot him. Luckily, Jerry was found relatively quickly and rushed to the local trauma center. After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care Jerry was released from hospital with fragments of the bullet still in his body. I saw Jerry about six months after the incident. When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were any better I would be twins. Wanna see my scars?" I declined to see his wounds, but did ask him what had gone through his mind as the robbery took place. "The first thing that went through my mind was that I should have locked the door,"
Jerry replied. "Then, as I lay on the floor, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live, or I could choose to die. I chose to live."
"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked. Jerry continued, "The paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine. Butwhen they wheeled me into the emergency room and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I really got scared. In their eyes, I read, "He's a dead man." I knew I needed to take action. "What did you do?" I asked. "Well, there was a big, burly nurse shouting questions at me," said Jerry. "She asked me if I was allergic to anything. "Yes," I replied. The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for me to reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, "bullets!" Over their laughter I told them, "I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I'm alive, not dead."
Jerry lived, thanks to the skill of the doctors and nurses, but also because
of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that very day we have two
choices to live fully.

Attitude, after all, is everything.

... on the other hand, I know someone who has been on Riluzol for over 12 years with no complications. He has slowed down somewhat in the past couple of years. His symptoms have progressed and he is a bit slouched over too (possibly that incipient dwarfism kicking in).

The point is that, descriptive statistics can be believed... but don't forget that for every person on the short side of the median that there is someone on the long side... maybe you!

T.

Thanks for all the sound advice........, Mike with attitude, Al with strength, TBear with hope......Life is so precious , we really don't realize it until we are confronted with a situation we have no control over.
One day at a time is my favorite saying and I also like the song.
I have been energized with your words of wisdom,so much so, that I went Christmas shopping this morning. Maurice, my husband was shocked ! he said " you must really feel good today ". I told him "actually I do".
Keep it up guys, we all need a pep talk once in a while.
Thanks again from the bottom of my heart.
Keep well, Elaine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back