Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
A low air loss mattress was delivered yesterday. Hubby is ok with the mattress, but dosen't want the hospital bed, so he wants me to put it on the adjustable sleep number base. The only real difference that I can see is there is no footboard to hang the pump on, but the instruction book says it's ok to sit it on the floor. Does anyone have an idea for a narrow Rolling cart that I can put at the foot of the bed to hang or sit it on?

Also, can I use a mattress pad with the low air loss mattress, or will that defeat some of the purpose?

Becky,

You can do an Amazon search for "narrow rolling cart" to get some ideas that may fit what you have in mind.

As far as adding the mattress pad, I think you should experiment and see what feels best. Know that what feels best today may (should) be reevaluated (re-tested) down the road. Failing to do so may keep you from finding that which really works best at that [then] point in time. I hope he finds the same benefit that Darcey has with the mattress. I will assume it is also "alternating".

Jim

Harbor Freight has several sizes of utility carts. Inexpensive as well

Handy, are you?

I went to Home Depot and got a thick wooden disk, say 18" diameter and 1" thick. It's pre-made. Also got four casters (wheels that swivel). Drive 16 screws and you've got a heavy duty rolling table that's waay low to the ground.

LOL Mike, I'm becoming handier by the day, AND I've already told my husband not to start giving away the tools until I've staked my claim.

Great ideas for the rolling table and checking Google and Harbor Freight. Thanks.

Jim, I hope he's comfortable. Unfortunately, he still wants to turn side to side and this one will not help with that. Yes, it's alternating and has a "float" setting.

Sigh. I used to LOVE to move furnture around. I'm now officially tired of it.

I know, I know, suck it up, Buttercup. We are fortunate to have the stuff to move around.

Becky

Becky,

Sometimes the need to turn comes from not being comfortable. Before the mattress, Darcey would wake every hour to hour and a half with the need to be rolled from one side to the other. Since the mattress, she often sleeps through the night on her back with no need or desire to turn onto a side. I hope Matt discovers some relief, too.

Jim

Ahh Becky, we learn and find a way. IN THE LAST year I have spent more time with the power drill, hammers, and paint accessories than in all our 27 years of marriage. It actually felt good to bang the hammers and cewate something. It felt like my "work" was manageable when I could see a project develop.

“Also, can I use a mattress pad with the low air loss mattress, or will that defeat some of the purpose?”

My low air loss mattress was supplied with a mattress pad, but I don’t use it. The air mattress sits on top of my regular mattress in my regular bed. When I go in for respite care, they have an identical mattress on the pad in a hospital bed and, tbh, I don’t notice a difference as the mattress is good.

I’ve hung the pump on a chair back, as I’ve space for a chair at the end of the bed and I put splints etc on the seat, rather than having a nightly hunt for them :)

Any place to hang it with carabiners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back