Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
RI
City
Warwick
I am in need of honest opinions-and maybe a little tough love.

First: I have so much respect for the folks battling this disease while also being willing to support and advise others. My gratitude goes out to you.

Second: I read the sticky, and I realize I likely don't belong on this forum. But some part of me needs to hear it from people who know best--those who have been diagnosed with an MND (and those who care for them).

Soooo, your very honest opinions and tough love are most welcome (and will hopefully serve to ease my anxiety).

-I am a 39 year old female with two small kiddos.

-5 months ago, I started with palpitations/spasms in my chest and weakness arm. I actually went to the hospital out of concern for a heart attack. It was not. I wore a halter monitor for a month after. Everything came back normal.

-1 month ago I started noticing additional weakness in my limbs, especially on my right side (arm and leg). I also have bouts of being very jittery--despite watching my diet and eliminating caffeine. I am clumsy, dropping things, tripping, etc. I too have periods of tingling and numbness in both arms, hands and feet (which I recognize is not a symptom of ALS).

-I feel slightly foggy and a bit woozy, and especially exhausted most of the time.

-Finally, three weeks ago, I started to experience twitching (fasciculation) all over my body. Includes face, legs, arms, head, etc. It is at its worst when I am at "rest" (laying down, sitting, working at my computer, driving).

I have another appointment with the doctor tomorrow. Hope to know more then.

I have no previous related health issues, nor have I had past experiences with mental health concerns, or extreme anxiety. Nevertheless, my life is not without a decent level of stress--husband who travels extensively, two kids under 7, own my own business, etc.

Sooooo, am I experiencing "health anxiety", are these symptoms truly in line with early stages of an MND--or do I need a prescription for Zoloft/Paxil, to explore other health issues, and a counselor?

I welcome your expert feedback--I am just sorry that expertise comes from living the experience of an MND diagnosis.

Thanks ever so much for listening!

First, we are no substitute for your doctor.

That said, nothing you posted sounds like ALS.

Perhaps some blood tests such as B-12, Vit. D, CBC, and comprehensive metabolic might reveal some deficiencies.

Follow your doctor's lead and please be open with him about your unfounded fear of ALS.

KimT,

Thanks so much for your response. I truly appreciate your feedback. My doc sent me for a battery of tests, including blood/urine. She performed another in-office neuro exam (push, pull, lift, etc.). That seemed normal. She scheduled me for an EMG for next week.

I also had a very open dialog with her about my new found "health anxiety", my ALS fears, and the impact my mental health can have on my symptoms.

Hope to have a better idea of next steps, both mental and physical, in the next week.

Again, thank you for your message--and the very best of luck to you!

Are you often or intermittently tachycardic and/or were any atrial complexes seen on the Holter? If so, the twitches, jitters, and fatigue could relate to your heart working overtime, and can be addressed with something like a calcium channel blocker or beta blocker -- you can ask your internist. Thyroid might be another value to check.

Agreed, this is not ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back