Not open for further replies.

Laurie H.

Country
US
State
WI
City
Platteville
I had a Pulmonary Function Test in 2005 and just had another one a few weeks ago (Oct.2009). I am wondering if anyone can help me understand the results.

Conclusions of 2005 Test: "The FVC,FEV1/FVC ratio and FEF25-75% are within normal limits, but there is curvature to the flow volume loop suggesting minimal small airway disease. The FVC is reduced relative to the SVC indicating air trapping. Lung volumes are within normal limits. Diffusing capacity is normal. However, the diffusing capacity was not corrected for the patient's hemoglobin. Minimal airway obstruction is present suggesting small airway disease. Pulmonary Function Diagnosis: Minimal Obstructive Airways Disease."

Conclusions of 2009 Test: " Although the FEV1 and FVC are reduced, the FEV1/FVC ratio is increased. Following the administration of bronchodilators, there is no significant response. The reduction in FVC would suggest a restrictive process. However, the presence of restriction should be confirmed by measurement of lung volumes."

FVC (L): 69%Pred.
FEV1 (L): 77% Pred.
FEV1/FVC %: 111%Pred.
FEF25% (L/sec): 98%Pred.
FEF75%(L/sec): 76%Pred.
FEF25-27%(L/sec): 92%Pred.
FEF Max (L/sec): 86%Pred.

Can anyone help interpret these results for me? And what does "administration of a bronchodilator" mean? To my knowledge, they never administered anything to me during the test at all!

Note: Other symptoms I have at this time: muscle twitches, tingling, bilateral clonus, burning in lungs, lack of energy/endurance, headaches.

Thanks for any help that you can give me!

Laurie H.

Here is a brief explanation of the tests that appear to have been administered during your PFT.

http://www.webmd.com/lung/lung-function-tests

If you want more explanation of the results, I would suggest reading and posting on a forum devoted to COPD and other respiratory ailments.

Laurie, I'm not an expert to comment on your pulmonary test, but I can tell you about the "bronchodillatators".
Bronchodilators are medications that relax the bronchial muscles. Relaxing these muscles makes the airways larger, allowing air to pass through the lungs easier. This helps people with Asthma and COPD breathe better. Many different kinds of bronchodilators are available. They can be grouped according to how long they work (called short- and long-acting drugs) or the way in which they widen or dilate the airways (beta-agonists, anticholinergics or theophyllines). Some of them come in form of inhallers, some tablets and some as nembulizers.
I hope it helps, Erica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back