Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
VA
City
Lynchburg
I had an EMG back in June of last year after at that time having 1 year and 4 months of fasciculations among many other symptoms that can be seen in previous threads. The EMG was only done on my left side, and no bulbar muscles. Which quite frankly is concerning to me now because I have recently discovered that I am struggling to whistle and having trouble breathing when laying down. I haven't completely lost the ability to whistle but I'm normally a very loud whistler and now most times it's barely there and mostly just air, although I had a few days last week where it seemed to be back to normal. Very weird, and concerning because I have read on this forum that it can be an indication of bulbar for some. It has been just over 23 months now since fasciculations began, so I understand that it would be rare to go on for this long but I am just looking for answers. Can bulbar be ruled out from my EMG? I have set up an appointment next month for a follow up by the way, but I'm just very anxious in the meantime and don't understand the EMG. I don't mean to offend anyone with my post, and I hope it doesn't

Attachments

• IMG_1411.PNG
    IMG_1411.PNG
    296.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1410.PNG
    IMG_1410.PNG
    303.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1408.PNG
    IMG_1408.PNG
    263.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1406.PNG
    IMG_1406.PNG
    307.3 KB · Views: 225
Past threads can be read here:

I think the EMG makes it very clear they found no abnormalities and your clinical exam was unremarkable. You will have to pursue some other reason for the symptoms you report, because there really is zero evidence of what you fear- ALS- which is excellent news!

Thanks for your reply ShiftKicker. I was very happy to hear that nothing was really abnormal, and for the last 6 months have really lived a normal worry free life, other than continued fasciculations, and some intermittent swallowing issues. But then I went to whistle one night a few weeks ago and nothing was coming out and the panic began. And that was after a week of very very frequent twitching in my upper right arm( biceps, triceps) and some strange heavy/numb feelings in my top lip. And unfortunately after the whistling ordeal, I came here to seek answers and saw that some said that sudden inability to whistle was a symptom for them or their significant other. I also have read about people who have had clean EMGs but received a bulbar diagnosis( not to mention they only did my left side). I'm really hoping this is all in my had and a manifestation of anxiety, but I really wasn't even worrying at the point this all started.

Take a read over the link. Nothing you have stated, all your exams and clean EMGs all say no ALS. When will you start to believe this?

I have already posted a couple threads over the past couple of years, and I apologize if I’m being a bother. But the past couple of weeks I have had really bad dyspnea, on exertion and at night specifically. I break out in a sweat doing the smallest of tasks now and feel short of breath and wake up gasping for air sweating with a racing heart. And my ribs are cramping daily.Also have been peeing non stop and losing weight daily.And I am COVID negative with no fever. I am currently at urgent care and they tested my oxygen on my finger and it was 98%but I wasn’t laying, I was sitting up on a reclined hospital bed. And I was at rest. But if this was respiratory onset wouldn’t it be lower?? And is it even possible to get respiratory onset at 29?? Sorry for all my questions, I have no one to talk to or ask about these things with any knowledge. I did have a clean EMG on left leg arm back and back of neck in June but my concern is that respiratory doesn’t show up on EMG, unless it’s of your diaphragm or intercostal muscles.

Did you have a sleep study? There are apps for your phone or tablet that can give you clues, as can simply recording your sleep. There are several kinds of sleep problems that are very treatable, and they are troublesome until they are.

98% is just great. But an internist or pulmonologist can test your lung function to make sure it is normal. And you should keep in close touch with your internist about your other issues and getting a read on whether there are problems when you sleep. The EMG would have shown ALS, with any kind of onset. It does not matter what muscles they tested in that sense. Your EMG was normal. You do not have ALS. But you deserve to feel better with whatever you do have.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much, Laurie. I will definitely look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back