Is this something you will use or tell others about?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

robc

Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Silverton
I've heard from so many people that want to help others with ALS directly. While I'm involved in fundraising for the ALS Association, I thought there was also a need to connect people with ALS with people who want to help with specific needs: equipment, software, adaptive devices, ramps, a van fund, plane tickets to visit family or have family visit you, etc.

So I created a new website where people with ALS can post their need and individuals and organizations can browse those needs and contact PALS to help.

als.needlist.org

The site works much like a classified advertising site or Craigslist - you can post information about your need, yourself, upload photos, etc.

All posts will be moderated & people posting their need should indicate some source where the need can be validated ideally (church, doctor, als association, mda, etc) so that people helping can be assured that the post is legitimate.

When you post, your email remains private and people can connect with you by replying to the Need request via a form, which will send you an email.

We're not collecting money, this isn't a non-profit (or for profit for that matter), it's just a way to connect NEEDS with HELP.

While I'm still working on a few little details, the site is more or less functional & I would love for people to register and post their needs. Any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

Rob
diagnosed ALS sep 2007

Hi Al,

als.needlist.org is more of an open forum for PALS, Caregivers and Organizations to post needs and individuals AND organizations to respond..

So in the case of ALS Guardian Angels, if someone posted a need they could fulfill, they could respond.. If ALGA needed $$ to ship equipment to a PAL, they could post that as a need..

Not trying to duplicate efforts - this should be a tool that PALS, individuals and organizations alike can use to connect. als.needlist.org is a zero-budget non-organization just connecting people who want to help with people who have needs.

Trying to bridge resources across individuals with needs, organizations, and individuals who want to help.

Does that make sense?

I have a long list of people who want to help that have contributed over $60,000 to the ALS Association through various fundraising efforts my wife and I have coordinated since I was diagnosed with ALS a couple years ago -- I'm finding it difficult to go back to the same group of people and ask them to give more money to the ALS Association -- just starting to get smaller amounts from fewer people. That said, any time I've come across someone who has a specific need & I can relay that to those people, they step up pronto.

I'd really appreciate any feedback - good bad or ugly - I have thick skin.. I *think* this is a worthwhile effort, and I *think* the website is simple and straightforward, but I may have blinders on :)

Thanks Al!

-Rob

I did post there as well.. I can see where people might need help with a plane ticket to visit family members (I've had friends offer frequent flier miles), help with accessibility remodels, etc.. could really be anything.

Thanks!

-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back