Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Miami
I just turned 46. But on March 10 2016 my sympthoms began. Started with my right calf it was stiff. Then the twiching started. The twiching would be in the calf and eventually moved throughout body. The twiching was mostly at night or at resting. Pins and needles in hands and bottom of feet, sometimes face. My upper left side of my back is uncomfortable. Fast forward to now, and my twiching has decreased but still stiff calfs, pain and discomfort/pain in thighs ankles. My arms and forearms are tight. My strength still feels ok. I have had blood work done which came out perfect. I was checked for Lyme disease and was negitive. Had MRI of the brain and spine which both were clear/ no issues. I take b12, b4, magnesium everyday. Helps some. Just need some insite

I don't see ALS in your post.

First, regarding the twitching. Twitching is common to many conditions--even healthy people twitch. So that's not diagnostic of anything, really.

Pins and needles, pain, discomfort, feeling weak, burning, and numbness are sensory inputs originating in the flesh. However, ALS is in the brain. It destroys motor nerves that send the 'go' signal to our muscles--so the muscle doesn't contract. There is no feeling involved. The muscle doesn't feel weak, or pins and needles, or anything at all--it just lays limp, useless, paralyzed.

Also, B12, B4, and magnesium: You said "Helps some." In ALS, nothing helps you move better.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your neurologist finding out what this is.

Some viruses can cause the sequence of events that you describe. You've only had issues for two months, so further recovery is still very possible. I would try massage with an MT who focuses on neuro issues.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you both for your responses. I do appreciate it. I am scheduled to see another neurologist at the end of this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back