Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
I am hoping that some of you might help clear up my confusion regarding ALS symptoms because I am at my wit's end at what to do to help out my sister-in-law who seems to be in severe denial about the whole thing.

Following numerous tests, my sister-in-law was diagnosed as having ALS by experts in the field, but for the past 6 months has refused to accept the diagnostic. She says that the doctors are mistaken because, although her left leg is completely 'dead' and cold during the day when she is sitting up and draggng herself about, it warms up and becomes extremely hot when she gets herself to bed at night. Moreover, my sister-in-law claims that she cannot possibly have ALS because she feels pain in her ankle and tha the small toes of her left foot can now wiggle again after some therapy. Is she right? Could the experts be wrong?

Welcome Lilac. I'm no doctor and didn't see her test results but from what you describe I'd believe your sister in law. Those just don't sound like ALS symptoms (typical ones). If I was her I'd get a second opinion at Sunnybrook in Toronto or the Clinic in London. Denial is a natural thing with a diagnosis of ALS. I think most of us go through it. Sometimes we're right though.
AL.

Thank you

Thanks so much for your reply. I will strongly encourage her to get a second opinion. She is being 'treated' in Montreal... Anywhere else may be better than where she is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back