Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
wisconsin
City
seymour
I have a ? OK i am not going to get feeding tube. My ? is,,,,in GODS eyes will this be looked at as suicide? Please help.

PaulaB

My opinion

1.) Peg is a personal choice and there is no wrong decision. I dont consider this an atrficial way of living just assistance but you are not wrong in declining "assistance" to live.

2.) Now a ventilator, and this is just my opinion, is an artifical form of living. I know Im going to get a lock of crap for this but its only an opinion and of course you are free to decide either way on this one as well. I personally just wouldnt put that on my family.

Paula -

I believe different faiths have diverging opinions on this. Do you have some sort of clergy to consult? Either way, it ends up being a very personal matter of conscience.

How has your family reacted to your decision?

Liz

paula B said:
I have a ? OK i am not going to get feeding tube. My ? is,,,,in GODS eyes will this be looked at as suicide? Please help.

PaulaB
I am a religious person In my eyes God will know when it is your time to go. Suicide Is when one takes his or her own life. You saying you dont want a feeding tube. I have a living will Stating no respirator or feeding tubes I have a DNR and I think everyone should. No one wants to live if there is no quality of life. What I would say is maybe you are depressed or anxious and thats why you dont want a feeding tube Then maybe you need medication that will eliminate those fears If they are indeed fears. But to call that suicide id rediculous. A feeding tube is a personnal decision that only you can make. I hope that god gives you peace of mind Pat

One of the things I like about this forum is that every concern of every PAL and CAL is taken seriously and opinions are expressed with respect and caring concern. It is wonderful to see what we can do for each other! Cindy

its ok

Gary is Catholic and ask his priest the same question. His priest said it is not suicide as he have tried everything he could and to refuse the feeding tube is a personal choice, but not considered a sin or suicide. So do your choice that you feel you can deal with.

Pat, so you are still able to eat/swallow? but not speak? My nuero said that the two go hand in hand and if bulbar you would lose both at about the same rate.?

I agree with Pat, your not going anywhere until God is ready. God giveth life and only he taketh life.

puzzled36 said:
Pat, so you are still able to eat/swallow? but not speak? My nuero said that the two go hand in hand and if bulbar you would lose both at about the same rate.?
Thats why are am concerned about my diagnosed I have slurred speech 8 years no real problems with swallowing I am cautious when I eat but my jaw is strong I dont have excess saliva and I still speak but slurred .Pat

Pat,

I would be looking at other things too. Mabye a miracle is in store for at least one of us, if not all. Of course, life itself is a miracle yall. You know, every day we get to "wake up" and open our eyes, it's a miracle, everything else besides that is just a bonus, ALS, lyme, going crazy or whatever, it's all a bonus because we get to LIVE.

On the feeding tube and vent questions. I probably would get on both, but, i have diff. reasons. I have a 1 year old girl, that, i would do anything, even so far as lying in a bed paralyzed...to be able to see her grow up a little. She's my pride and joy, she makes my life, makes me complete and makes me fight like hell to make her wedding, i will walk her down the isle and even if i have to...i will ride her in the wheelchair down the isle..lol

This is a pro choice nation, and on this, the good lord allows us for pro choice on a decision like that. It is not considered suicide and god will accpect you with open arms, for coming to meet him at his choosing.

nite to all

rgds,

jamie

I always say to my husband When I wake up and see the ceiling fan I am happy LOL

Question-Paula B

Hi Paula,
My husband has had a feeding tube for a year now. He really didn't want to have one put in and waited until it was almost too late to have the surgery. He was only able to eat pudding and very soft foods and was losing weight rapidly. He has made out very well with it and has been able to maintain his weight. He has decided not to be put on a vent and I agree with his decision. I feel that the feeding tube has given him another year to enjoy seeing his grandchildren grow, play baseball, football & soccor. He is still walking, but just barely able to do that. ALS is the worse disease and your decision is yours alone to make. Just thought you might like to hear from someone with a another opinion! Best of luck to you & God Bless. Rae :)

In regards to PEG

Hi Everyone,
My husband like Rae's also, waited almost too long before the PEG procedure. Since he had the procedure he has gained over 7 pounds of the 36 he lost and is doing well with the PEG. Had he done the procedure earlier, he may have avoided loosing his strength, and certainly the weight, which is vital to keep all the muscle mass in this complex disease.
What a wonderful forum to converse with such expertise! New to this forum but we are learning much information, thanks to everyone.
Life is such a great gift that we take for granted until we realize what this disease robs us of. However, the brain is a powerful tool in which ALS does not destroy.
God bless each of you and keep the powerful tool going.
Hugs, Caroliney

ty

Thanks to all that replied. I love this group.

PaulaB

Paula,
My mom decided she didn't want a feeding tube, but she is on the edge of changing her mind for various reasons. Her original comment was, "I don't want any holes in me, that God didn't put there." That said, you could look at the simplicity of her statement and see that it would NOT be considered suicide in God's eyes. Heck, he didn't put any extra holes in for such things.
Every person is different. Every person has a different definition of what quality of life means. I think my mom is changing her mind because she is still very able to take care of herself with help from my stepdad. She's just loosing weight at an amazing rate because chewing and swallowing have become so tedious/scary. She's decided that she still has life to live.
May God bless you and your family on your journey and the decisions you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back