05/2018
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hi all,

New here, and hoping someone can chime in with some advice. My mother is 87, with delicate skin. The ALS closet loaned us a mesh U sling, but we need one with head support and padded legs (as recommended by our OT).

I've scoured the forum and can't find any specifics on suppliers. For some reason, I can't find one through our suppliers here in Toronto, or on the internet. The current model, (without head support) which she likes, isn't manufactured anymore.

The mesh sling material seems super slinky and soft, and seems great for tucking under her without shearing her skin. The ones I've seen that are NOT mesh seem really rough, almost like canvas. Surely that's hard on naked skin? Or am I wrong about the non-mesh slings, and they'd be perfectly fine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Kathy

Mesh sling and padded legs usually don't go together, since to be padded, the material has to be solid/closed cell.

Since your mom has delicate skin, a higher-end mesh is certainly desirable. As for the solid canvas-type material, because of the padding, it's harder to manipulate those slings under someone's body. But there is less friction. So that is a tradeoff.

Unfortunately, the mesh versions of domestic brands have gotten cheaper/rougher as time goes by. Your best bet may be Liko, but those are pricey. Look at a site like medicaleshop. And remember, Liko calls "mesh" "polyester net."

Thanks very much Laurie. I'm getting my supplier to see if they can source from Liko. They have distribution in Canada. And thanks for translating "polyester net". So hard to order when you can't put your hands on them!

I don't know if it would apply to you since you're in Canada. We got a "hygiene" sling from the ALS loaner pool, but it was horribly painful for my Dad. Severe pressure under his arms. OT was here yesterday, said it was completely wrong and called ALS to get a new one. We're supposed to have it tomorrow.

The most common sling for PALS is a U-shaped (divided leg, not "toilet sling" with tiny hole in the middle) with head support. And arms should be inside the sling, not dangling outside it. Other slings may be better depending on use, body type and capabilities.

Thanks, This Present Moment, I also heard from my OT that the hygiene sling is bad. I've got a loaner right now from the ALS cupboard, and we just slip the legs out of the U sling to let her use the toilet, while sitting on the commode. Good luck with the new sling tomorrow. Will you let me know how it goes?

Thanks Laurie, your comments are in line with the OT's. It's looking like the cupboard might source one with a high back, and the right fabric. Fingers crossed!

Thanks all for sharing all these questions and answers ! We are considering a hoyer lift and you guys help a lot !
good vibes to you all

Marie Laure, our OT showed me how to use the lift. They loaned us a manual one, but I much prefer the electric one they brought in later. It is such a relief to have a way to transfer her safely. I got to practise on the OT, then she hoisted me so I could get the feel of it, and then she watched as I did it. It's so much less stressful for her and for me, than the dodgy sliding board transfers she's doing now. The ALS closet has a high-back sling they're going to loan us, so that will provide head support if her neck muscles or trunk continues to get weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back