Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
NY
City
Jarrow
Hi everyone I've joined this forum and a few months of reading similar things because I feel I need to get a lot off my chest, there's only so much you can seek answers from your family before they start thinking your going insane.

I'm Victoria, a 22 year old new mum, I gave birth on the 30th December 2012 to a crack maxing baby boy, before and during pregnancy I've always been what should be of a woman my age, a young healthy female.

1 week After giving birth i had abit of a rough time with hemorrhage and was admitted to hosptal with retained placenta, I needed to have it surgically removed under a general Anastasia, I'd also got a really Nasty infection making me feel rough and flu-ish that was treated using IV antibiotics.

About 2 hours after leaving recovery after my surgery I began to experience breathing difficulty, as if I couldn't take a deep enough breathe, I had chest X-rays, ECG's, blood gasses you name it and they put it down to anxiety.

About a week later I started getting pain in my left leg and arm followed by heavyness in the thighs and weakness, obviously i was frightened so went to seek medical advice, my doctor was quick to diagnose me with costa condritus, and said that possibly it was having a domino effect on my left hand side. It would apparently sort itself out in a few weeks.

It didn't and a few weeks later my thigh started twitching, then my calf, before I knew it my hand felt weak. I get twitching in all different areas of y body from my legs to my face, throat and stomach. I also get pain up my Arm if I move my hand And if I move my shoulders it's hurts, also if I stretch my chest and back it hurts a lot and the bottom of my back, it's all painful when stretched even slightly!

5 months on I've seen a neuro and he said its definitely not Als, maybe something triggered by the anastestic as all my reflexes are fine and coordination. How can he be sure of this with no tests carried out bewilders me.

The main weakness is in my thighs and my left arm, I can't lift it very long without my left hand side (lat muscle) feeling heAvier then a sack of spuds. Even brushing my hair feels uncomfortable. Also my knees hurt when I bend them on stand up, front and behind the knee Aswel which I know can be caused by nerve damage, my fingers hurt when I bend them sometimes and my foot is hurting when walled on.

AHHHH I feel like I'm going crazy it's hard enough being a new mother but there's only so much I can take of people telling me it's anxiety, how can it be anxiety when new things keep happening every so often and not disappearing. Somebody please give me some advice or acknowledge that I'm terrified and a scared young girl.

A lot of typos in that post, apologies!

Hi victoria,congratulations on your beautiful new baby.
Please believe your neuro,nothing screams out als.......full body twitching is benign and multi body pain/symptoms points away from als or anything neurological.
Als and other neurological deseases have insiduos onset focused on one area.

Over the years we have had many new mums on here with symptoms like yours....not sure what causes it.
Childbirth puts a tremendous ammount of stress on your body but then to have the added infection....well,your body still needs time to settle down. Get enough rest(hard i know with new baby)and hopefully things will settle down.

Thanks so much for ur reply, I really appreciate it, it's obviously frightening when these changes are happening and maybe it is all nothing but I hope people understand why I am frightened, it's more the fact that I have twitching and weakness etc thats freaking me out, if it was just twitching I would probably just forget it but I understand what your saying and it has made me feel a little better, i just don't know what's going on and why!?

Glad you found some reasurance from my reply.
Concentrate on you darling new baby and give your body time to recover....if things persist or worsen over the next few months then see your gp.
But honestly sweetie it does not sound like als one tiny bit.

I hope not olly, because it's been haunting me every day for the last 4 months, I feel guilty like I can't concentrate fully on my own son because I'm too busy worrying about myself. I will take your advice and hopefully it will all sort itself out!

Hey ,its late we both should be in bed lol.
Honestly you have more chance of winning this weekends lottery jackpot than having als..........go buy a ticket.
Give it a bit longer and if your no better see your gp but i really think it is due to all you have gone through.
Night night sweetie....give your beautiful baby boy a kiss from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back