CALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
SAN JOSE
Hey Everyone,

I am brand new to these boards (but have been lurking for a while and know how helpful everyone here is! :D) and to ALS in general, so please forgive my ignorance. I just recently began helping take care of my uncle. He is completely immobile and has a ventilator and trach.

I am looking for a manual reclining wheelchair (must be reclining so we can do side transfers from his bed) and it needs to be able to hold his vent, which is a Newport HT50. We would also need to be able to transport his suction machine, which is a DeVilbiss Homecare Suction Unit.

I don't know what kinds of things I should be looking for in a wheelchair, nor the accessories that I would need to get in order to make this functional. Ultimately we would like to just take him outside in the sun (he hasn't left the house in almost 2 1/2 years, except in an ambulance to the hospital). It is one of his wishes to go to Disneyland in the future.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

welcome. just as sadiemae stated contact the clinic he’s involved with. His pt therapist can do an eval on him which he or she gives to dr and then the chair company will meet with u and your pals to get chair . I assume he has Medicare most equipment I get goes through my als dr because the suppliers need a prescription from dr to bill insurance

Thank you both for your advice! I will definitely explore this option, but he doesn't currently have an ALS-specific clinic.

However, in the event that I wanted to go about this out-of-pocket, is there an alternative relatively affordable (no more than $2,000) option that I can go with? I mean, I've looked online and seen some reclining wheelchairs, but I'm not sure what kind of features I should be looking for.

Thanks again. =)

Barton makes a chair that reclines to stretcher and makes for easy transfers from bed to chair-after it reclines and you get your PAL onto the seat-it adjusts into a seating position. We use it for our vent-trach-feeding tube guy. We keep the vent on a stand though. I don't think it has any way to carry the vent unless you just hang it by the strap. One good thing-at least in our case-Medicare paid for it. Look up Barton chair, you may find it that way. It does seem to be a very comfortable watching tv recliner chair for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back