Not open for further replies.

KarstBoy

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
I desperately need advice on toileting my PALS.

Up until now, despite an irreparably torn rotator cuff in one arm and an arthritic back, I've been able to transfer my 66 yo wife from a wheelchair to a bedside commode. I’ve done this by using a gait belt to assist her up so she could grab the inside of a sink where she stays to await me as I come up behind her with a commode chair. Because of the pain all this physical straining has caused my 75 yo shoulders and back lately, I’m at the limit of my physical ability to help her. The effort required to transfer her in the last few weeks has increased dramatically as her one remaining (semi) functional arm & leg rapidly weaken.

Now to my question. Does anyone know of a method or piece of equipment that would allow me to transfer her directly from a wheelchair to a commode using a Hoyer sling (I currently have a toileting sling). By directly I mean doing so without having to put her in a bed first to take off her undergarments and lifting her back up before being placed on a commode? The same applies to taking her off the commode and putting her back in her wheelchair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many PALS forego underwear for the reason you identify, using stretchy pants/snap pants, etc. I'm sure those caring for females will have more thoughts.

I think we previously mentioned that if your "toileting sling" is just a sling with a small hole, you would be better off with a divided leg or "U" sling. That will enable you to use the Hoyer to transfer her on and off the commode, or to hover her over it if that is easier.

I use a u sling from wc or recliner. Behind is open. Before lifting we pull pants down as far as we can. Upon lifting, pants are easily pulled down the rest of the way.
From toilet chair, before lifting, get pants up as far as possible. Lift and pull up almost the rest of the way. Upon landing and after sling removal, pull up the last bit if needed.
Loose clothes are best. One layer of clothing is easier. When using a wheelchair or recliner, tilting and reclining back to take weight off the behind helps with changing if trying to get pants under behind. When using the u sling it isn't really needed.

I think we previously mentioned that if your "toileting sling" is just a sling with a small hole, you would be better off with a divided leg or "U" sling. That will enable you to use the Hoyer to transfer her on and off the commode, or to hover her over it if that is easier.

Yes, a "U" sling is what I currently have. Nice sling but just no way to remove underwear with it on.

temp.jpg

Thus, the comment about many PALS not wearing it.

I use a u sling from wc or recliner. Behind is open. Before lifting we pull pants down as far as we can. Upon lifting, pants are easily pulled down the rest of the way.
From toilet chair, before lifting, get pants up as far as possible. Lift and pull up almost the rest of the way. Upon landing and after sling removal, pull up the last bit if needed.

The stock internet picture below is not the sling we have but it's very similar. Can't envision pulling pants up or down with this on. The next time she "goes", I'll see what I can manage.

temp2.jpg

Loose clothes are best. One layer of clothing is easier. When using a wheelchair or recliner, tilting and reclining back to take weight off the behind helps with changing if trying to get pants under behind. When using the u sling it isn't really needed.

Jeans (unless "adaptive") or underwear, no. Stretchy sweat pants, e.g. w/ side snaps or zippers, should be fine. Some people modify existing pants or get a seamstress to do it.

One of our members a neuro nurse and PALS has a website. Here is her page on this issue

That is the type of sling I use . It can be done .

One of our members a neuro nurse and PALS has a website. Here is her page on this issue

Thank you so much for this link. It looks like it might have info that will help me.

Hi, I haven't got a piece of equipment in mind, but I found side opening underwear (velcro on both sides) to be a huge help when moving my mum from chair to commode.
You open the velcro on both sides, then put the sling on, and move her straight to the commode (leaving the underwear behind).

I also found tracksuit trousers that had zips from the ankle to waist on both sides, so they can be fully opened up too.
This means in the morning, I can lay her tracksuit trousers and underwear out on the seat and hoist her from the bed directly onto the clothes and velcro/zip them up. She lives in those trousers, they're so useful.

I'm in the UK, so not sure if you have the same clothing available where you are.

[links removed -- name of UK site is Adaptawear]

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsewhere in the world, you can Google women adaptive underwear. Still, I would be cautious about velcro next to the skin, depending on how the product is designed and how someone sits.

Wife bought some for me last week, I will let you know how they work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back