Diagnosis
07/2015
Country
US
State
tx
City
Dallas
Hello everyone, Steve had clinic today and we found out a lot of new info on Steve's progression. I will not go into detail on this thread but do need some advice. I trust the opinions on here more than anywhere online. Steve was told he needed to get AFO'S for both feet. We tried the pharmacy we were given by the clinic but they no longer sell them. We do not want to pay the cost for the custom ones until at least Steve has tried them and we know he will actually use them.

Any suggestions on what are the most comfortable and best to buy online and who you got them from.

Thanks again.

He should have received a prescription and they should be chosen and fitted by an orthotist. I have one and it was not custom made but still very expensive ( I thought). I think it was 600 and something. My insurance had a deductible of which I had used none so I paid most. And to me it has been worth every penny. I walk better, further and get less tired. I have an Ottobok walkon reaction. I was actually just at the orthotist having the padding adjusted ( needed due to atrophy) and I was telling him how great it is.

Try looking for orthotic and prosthetics places. I am shocked that your clinic did not have a better resource. Did you get the recommendation from the PT? I did have to ask the fellow who prescribed my afo to check with the clinic PT to get the name of the orthotist I now see

Also it is quite possible he will need some adjustments to an afo to make it comfortable ( I did originally as well as now) and you need a professional to make them. I tried at first to add padding last year where it was uncomfortable. It turned out the answer was to remove some. I never would have thought to try that

Last edited:
Darcey received a prescription from her neurologist which was fulfilled by a local company that specializes in making "fit to order" AFOs. By the time that she was measured, the AFO made, fitted and sent on her way both both ready to wear (once she found shoes large enough to fit over them)... she had reached a point in time wherein walking had become too dangerous a proposition. For that reason, she never actually got any walking use out of them. She did, however, use them in her PWC just to minimize cramping and foot curling for some several months.

Jim

Mine came from the orthopedist's office. It is made of carbon. Without it, I would not be able to walk at all. I will check the manufactor when I remove it tonight.

We did get the info from the PT. She said for Steve to try them from the counter first before getting the more expensive custom made ones. She did say that a lot of PALS were fine with the non- custom. She also told us which pharmacy had them but when we got there were told they did not carry them. They did write out a prescription but we were told it was just to keep from paying taxes.

Now not sure what to think.

You might look online at Amazon. See if you can find what looks like something that Steve could use. Then use Google to search for the manufacturer. Either call or email the manufacturer to see if they can tell you if any drug stores carry it within an XXX mile radius of where you live. If you find someone within driving range, call to see if they have something in stock. Then plan your road trip. Just an idea that might keep you from feeling like you are in a dead end corner.

Jim

Mine is not custom and I left my first orthotist appointment with it but I would never have known it was what I needed. I had a look at Amazon there are lots of afos for foot drop if that is his issue , also ankle braces. Maybe you could look through and see what you might pick and email the pt links for their opinion of what to try. I can tell you prior to the afo I had an ankle brace which helped my ankle weakness ( initial symptom) I got that at a medical supply store. It worked until I got calf weakness

Thanks everyone. I just went to Amazon and found some that are very highly rated by reviewers so we are going to try them.

I would go to an orthotist first. They will know what type of AFO you need and what size. If you are going to get custom ones anyway might as well spend the money on the custom ones and not order something online and hoping it works.
Vincent

Thanks Vincent. We are trying to figure out if we want to spend the extra money to have custom fitted. He agreed to start using his wheelchair. OT spoke with him about safety since he has had a few falls and his foot drop is bad. He is warming up to the idea and knows he can get around faster and not use so much of his energy. He does not have a lot of activity where he is walking and may not even deal with the braces if they are at all comfortable.

All the more reason to go custom right away. The difference between custom made and off the shelf is massive.
Vincent

Thank you Vincent. You are right. Comfort is important and that's a major goal.

I've used Allard toe off AFOs for several years. They are dynamic carbon fiber. Very light & provide good support - they cover most of the front of the lower leg. They make a stronger "blue" version. I got one of those last summer but it's a bit too stiff for me. I always went to an orthotics place to get these but they never had to do anything to custom fit other than select small, medium or large. The only problem I have with them is that they don't last long for me. I still work and do normal office walking. They start cracking after about 6 months and lose some of the support, but they still work OK for some time after. I'm about ready to take one back & see if they stand behind the 1 year warranty.

Thanks for the info Grounded. Good luck on the warranty.

I have to wear different sized shoes with mine. It becomes very expensive, buying two pairs of shoes to make one pair. They have to have a certain type of heel bit, Velcro strapped, the AFO foot a wide fitting...

I get black, and wear them until they are totally had it.

I really miss pretty shoes. Somehow I don't think that would bother Steve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back