Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
OH
City
Brunswick
Hello everybody - I am hoping you can help us out by sending a quick email!

For Christmas I got Jim tickets to see Jeff Dunham - the ventriloquist comic. He is one of Jim's favorites. He still laughs at him - something VERY rare! I would like to try to get Jeff to meet Jim at the show. Can you PLEASE help me by emailing Jeff Dunham? [email protected]

I would be so greatful! Thank You - Shelley

PS - Here is a copy of the letter I am sending:

Dear Jeff,

IMAGINE – imagine losing your sense of humor. Imagine never being able to joke again, to laugh or crack a smile. Imagine losing all of your empathy and apathy. Imagine you can no longer be you but you are stuck in the same mind and body. Imagine losing the shine of life in your eyes. Just imagine because it can happen and it has to my husband, Jim.

Jim has been diagnosed with two rare fatal medical conditions. The first, Frontal Temporal Dementia (or FTD) is a young onset dementia that is robbing Jim of his mind. The second Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (or ALS, aka Lou Gehrig’s disease) is robbing him of his muscle control and body. Jim was originally given 18 -36 months to live and is currently defying the odds.

So WHY am I telling you this? We are some of your biggest fans and Jim still understands your humor. He smiles, laughs and still gets your show. Smiles for him are few and far between, laughter even rarer.

We are appealing to your empathy.

Could you PLEASE meet with Jim after your December 29, 2012 show in Cleveland, Ohio? Jim and I will be in the ninth row during your show. I am so excited not only to see your show but to see Jim’s reaction to your show – his Christmas gift. I look forward to seeing Peanut and Jim’s reaction to him. I can’t wait to see him crack a smile to Walter or laugh at Achmed.

PLEASE, please, please consider making this show super special for a young father who is losing his battle with two monsters of his own. Time is of the essence – next tour may be too late. Everyday Jim loses more and more of himself. PLEASE help us make this memorable.

Thank You.

Shelley...you got it Hon. Ill send one out when I get home from work tonite.

Shelley, can we each PM you and get your full names so we can add that to our email to Jeff for reference?

Shelly,
You're awesome.

I've sent one, hope it helps.

Here's what I sent FYI.

"Jeff,
Hugh fan of yours.
Especially the loved the recent Halloween show.

I have ALS, a particular ruthless disease.

A PALS (person with ALS) who’s wife misses her husband Jim’s smile has asked our forum members (alsforums . com) to plead with you to meet with Jim after your Cleveland show December 29th.

I have been the recipient of a similar gift from a celebrity and I assure you it would more than make his day, and his family’s for seeing his smiles.

Yours in compassion,
Casey

Smart man Casey, I'll pinch your approach and do it now. Thanks.

I sent one out!

Shelley, you are so beautiful! How lucky Jim is to have you on his side!

Done. Hope this helps.
This is an easy one for everyone who wants to support and help those here on the forum living with ALS. Please get behind it everyone. It's so easy to do. :)

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for coming to New Zealand this year. Hope you enjoyed your time down under and you'll be back again soon.

I'm emailing about a most devoted fan of yours named Jim and his equally devoted wife Shelley. Shelley recently contacted you about making a very important dream come true for them both.

Jim has Frontal Temporal Dementia and Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS). This devastating combination is most challenging. One of the few things that still brings a smile to Jim's face and therefore his wife's as well is your show. They already have firm plans to attend the Dec. 29th show in Cleveland and will be sitting in the 9th row. The tickets being a most special Christmas gift from Shelley to Jim. Nothing would keep that smile on both their faces a bit longer than to meet with you personally, back stage, afterwards.

I, as a person living with ALS myself, implore you to please make every effort possible to grant this small wish that would mean so very much to them both. Most unfortunately time is of the essence for Jim and this will be his only chance to see you in person.

Thank you so much for your efforts.

With kindest regards,

(name changed to protect the guilty)
New Zealand

PS: A brief nod to Jim in the 9th row, during the show, wouldn't go amiss.

I sent a request off as well. Hope you both get to meet with him:).

ABSOLUTELY PM me for our info! I REALLY want this for Jim

This is so heart-breaking, yet I'm in awe at the sheer beauty and power of true love your post exemplifies. I'm glad Jim has a lifelong best friend like you in his life, and despite his condition, I'm sure he sees and appreciates the caring soul you are. I'd be happy to help with this, and here's hoping his wish will come true.

I sent one just now. Hope you have fun at the show regardless of his response.

Email sent. Hope it helps. I'd bet Stuvwould send one, too

Here's mine!

Dear Jeff –

I’m a fellow fan of your wonderful comedy and humor, as is my husband. My husband also has ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) and FrontoTemporal Dementia, as does my friend’s spouse, whose email to you is below. I’m writing to implore you to please grant her last wish for her husband of meeting with you after (or better yet, during!) your 12/29 show in Cleveland. You have no idea how much this would mean to him, her and our whole ALS family. I pray that you never know anyone touched by these horrendous diseases.

And you might also ask yourself this……why is it that your humor continues to be understood and appreciated by a community of people who are clinically losing their minds? :) I’m just saying………..

Peace be with you and your family and please accept my wishes for a safe and healthy future.

Shelly

You are a wonderful woman, Shelley! Jim is so lucky to have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back