Country
US
State
TX
City
Missouri City
Good evening, all.

Re: Mom, diagnosed in May

Mom is now noting her neck and back hurts. It has become difficult for her to hold her head up. I was wondering if a neck support like a brace used with whiplash might help. I do have a call into our care team but wondered if anyone had a suggestion.

Thank you for reading.

Spud

In a chair, you might start with a medium-density foam cervical collar, a step up from the really cheap ones with soft density foam that you may have seen. You can buy them on Amazon and elsewhere. Make sure you get the right height -- a half-inch can make a big difference.

If that doesn't work, you can try a more structured collar (with plastic on the outside).

My husband found that one of those travel neck pillows helped a lot when he was sitting. It was softer and more comfortable for him than neck braces. Just another suggestion to try .

Hi, I assume your mother is in a wheelchair.
In the case that she is not, it takes a lot of pressure off the back and neck when the chair is reclined and the back of the chair plus headrest support the body/head.
We tried a head rest collar that goes around the neck and the chin rests on that collar but that didn't seemed comfortable or helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back