Neck Solutions Basic Head Support System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesquitemr

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Sachse
I can still walk but have severe head drop. Headmaster collar is very uncomfortable. Does anyone have experience with the Neck Solutions Head Support System-Basic? Thanks.

<mod note: commercial link/attachment removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try a soft cervical collar first. There are 3 foam densities and you measure your neck to choose the height. I haven't worn what you posted but my husband tried many cervical collars and I myself wore a Milwaukee brace at one time. The system you posted runs the risk of causing more severe injuries if you are jolted or fall, and could risk subluxation of your fragile shoulder joints/cervical spine. It could also impede your breathing.

A good rollator (preferably no cables) could also help you by offloading some of your weight, but you would want one that could be adjusted to your height and with good size wheels (8-10").

Best,
Laurie

L
I would try a soft cervical collar first. There are 3 foam densities and you measure your neck to choose the height. I haven't worn what you posted but my husband tried many cervical collars and I myself wore a Milwaukee brace at one time. The system you posted runs the risk of causing more severe injuries if you are jolted or fall, and could risk subluxation of your fragile shoulder joints/cervical spine. It could also impede your breathing.

A good rollator (preferably no cables) could also help you by offloading some of your weight, but you would want one that could be adjusted to your height and with good size wheels (8-10").

Best,
Laurie
Hi Lauri, Thanks for the response. I can’t use Rollator as I have no upper body use left. I’ve been using a soft collar that I got at the drugstore. Are you referring to something like that or a professional grade cervical collar?

The drug stores are probably selling the softest (cheapest) density. The term "professional" doesn't mean much any more, but I would look for at least medium and possibly firm or extra firm density. Unfortunately, these are likely not returnable.

The right height is also very important. Measure from your chin to Adam's apple. Look for ITA-Med and Coreline collars on Amazon. Besides the all-foam ones, some have hard plastic shells + foam if you need more structure.

Also, if you are a big person, you may need a longer than standard length so as not to choke yourself. Standard length will fit a 17" neck or so, depending on the brand.

My husband found that he preferred a travel pillow, th U shaped ones. They were comfortable and he could position them in a variety of ways while sitting or transferring. May not work for you but he could never get comfortable with a cervical collar even though they provided more support.

We also often used a travel pillow to keep the head supported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back