Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Helen Barr

Does anyone know of a neck brace that actually works and doesn't hurt or irritate the chin? My father's chin touches his neck, so that makes eating, conversation, etc. difficult. He doesn't seem to have bulbar symptoms, but he can't hold his head up. We tried a neck brace that the doctor recommended, but he could only stand it for about 30 minutes, and now never wears it, although having his head down makes him miserable and sore. The skin on his upper chest and the under side of his neck is very irritated from having them touch all the time. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. MH

Hi Mary Helen,
Have you looked at the Headmaster Collar? My doctor recommended it for me and I just got it a few days ago, so am not an expert. I like it because the strap does not go around the front of my neck. Other styles that did go around the front of my neck were very uncomfortable for me.
As I say, I am not an expert, but if you want to have a look at the Headmaster, go to www.symmetric-designs.com. This is not a recommendation, just a suggestion. Maybe others have tried it for longer and can give an opinion.
Hugs, Leah

Thanks, Leah. Believe it or not, we just ordered a headmaster yesterday. He should have it in about a week and a half. Is it easy to put on? My mother is not much help where my father is concerned, when it requires hand strength especially. Anyway, his neurologist recommended that one, and said it is good for ALS patients. Let's hope so!

MH

Hi There,

Henry used a neck brace as well. He used one by Alpine. He found it very comfortable and it kept his head up very well. He used a soft collar around the house but, when we went out he used the Alpine. Good luck, I think they are all very similar and most do the job very well.

Carol

Hi Carol,
Just checking to see if you might be sitting in the sun drinking some New Brunswick beer-Moosehead's "Alpine". I thought you told us once before that Henry had an Aspen collar, maybe I am wrong. I could not find the Alpine one when I googled. Cheers!
Leah

No Leah I believe Margarita's and red wine are her weapon of choice. Now the sun on the red bikini might have addled her brain for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back