Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Small town
Just checking in to say hello to all the brave warriors out there, both PALS & CALS. Jan. 4th will mark 6 months since Dave's passing. I've been doing remarkably o.k. I've been pretty successful on maintaining my focus on the positive and that The Beast took over our lives later in ife and that we had 39 years together. I try to stay focused on positive thoughts and actions. I won't lie that it is always easy. I miss Dave terribly. There is not a day that goes by that I don't wish I could tell him something, or want to text him with some bit of nonsense. I miss him so very much. It is a double-edged sword; 39 years together is/was such a blessing. Yet, trying to find my way along now without him is so very odd/difficult/surreal at times. At times I still cannot believe what happened ....... but, yet again, yeah - I know, I/we lived thru it. The "Holiday Season" has been tough, and hence, I have not posted much here lately. I do want to give a shout out to all past and present CALS though (& PALS as well) & tell you to hang on and deal with this horrible nightmare as best as you can. It is very slowly getting a bit easier / a bit less sad for me. I hope that for all former CALS. HUGS!

Bonnie - so good to see you here. Time, it’s what we all need. I’m glad you’ve had time to focus on the positive things while still being sad at the same time. Healing, not back to old, but to something different.

Love you

We are all finding our new normal!

Hey Buck, always good to hear from you and good that optimism can't be beat out of you with a club.

Just saying "Hi", so that my thread stays open. I am moving forward as best I can. There is not one day that goes by that I don't think about Dave multiple times and wish I could talk to him, see him, ........ 39 years together was definitely a blessing, but it also is difficult at times to remember who I was (am?) without him. I will tell you - it is getting easier (7 months tomorrow) with the caveat of some dark, lost days. I am blessed by the fact that, by nature, I was always a "loner" before I met Dave, so that is helping me now. Love to all.

Great to hear how you are doing Bonnie. It's not a linear path, but we do find a new shape to our lives.

I'm glad to hear your slowly finding your way. I found the first year and all the "firsts" without my PALS the toughest. I still think of him every single day and miss him terribly but after getting over the first year it's a bit easier. I now only tear up every other time I talk out loud about him instead of every time. That's progress. After 39 years together it will take time. Thinking of you as you navigate this new chapter in your life. Jlynn

It is good to hear from you Buckhorn, It is almost a year and a half for me. When rains it pours. First I lost my husband then 7 months later lost my dad and the same day had to put my dog of 17 years down.
I take one day at the time and try not to plan much. I miss my husband terribly but don't cry as I used to.
It is kind of weird, when I dream about my dad, I always see him happy and young, but when I dream of my husband it is the struggle of the illness, I believe we all got traumatized by the ALS beast.
Hugs to you
Adriana

Great to hear from you Bonnie. Good to hear you’re doing ok. 2 months here and haven’t had time to process yet due to my folks. Lost my Dad on Friday.
I hope to be where you are 6 months out. I too was a bit of a loner.

Hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back