Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
So my 16 yr old daughter and I took a road trip last week for a college football bowl game. Easy drive being that it's all interstate and the company was great! On the way home Sunday we stopped for fuel and my daughter went inside for coffee while I pumped the gas. In another moment of pure genius I decided to step over the fuel hose and get something out of the van... would have been great had I not tripped over the damn hose!

I managed to break the fall by smashing my face and ribs on the concrete barrier that guards the gas tank from bad drivers. I can report that the barrier is quite sturdy and effective!

A fat guy like me is too big to land without at least one bounce, so the secondary fall from the concrete barrier was inevitable. Also inevitable, given my luck, was that since the face and ribs survived with only blood and bruising something else had to break. That something ended up being 2 wrist bones and a shattered thumb... geez!

Opted out of surgery for pins & screws in the thumb; not worth the surgical risks to ensure it's straight after 6 weeks in this cast. Would kinda be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.

So I am loaded up on oxy, relaxing on the porch with a beer & a cigar, lamenting that my future with NASCAR is doubtful at best.:twisted:

Maybe I'll take up juggling while riding a unicycle!

Jeff,
first things first, I am glad you are ok.
BUT I loved that read. I even read it to my husband who has ALS and he laughed. A sound that I don't hear often enough these days. I am trying to get him to join the forums, but no luck so far. However, posts like this that can make him laugh just may get him to reconsider.
Thanks.
And no more jumping over gas hoses!
Cheryl

Tough break, Jeff! I bet you Long for the days when you were agile.

Oh Jeff! What a scene that must have been. Swift healing !

Good job, Jeff, you made us all laugh. Glad you're on the porch getting better and not in the hospital. Bet you won't be attempting that maneuver again!

Well said, Jeff! Rest easy and stick to fueling bikes ...��

RULE# 1....don't ever fall.....................
WE FULL FIGURED BOYS GO DOWN HARD!
Glad you dint tear a rotator cuff or something that had to be a surgical fix.
The last time I fell, it was while I was doing curls...I fell forward on my face, and hit the bar with my ribs. I think they were cracked. The Warden ask me how I got rug burns on my face and nose?

im hurting just thinking about it. :(

Look on the bright. If you were the one getting you might have tripped spilling your coffee and burning yourself.
Patrick

Jeff, OUCH. You are hilarious, but OUCH. Matt says to tell you one of his early falls was also at the gas pump (I think there was more than one, but we won't go there). Enjoy the beer and cigar...I don't smoke but I'll have (another) drink for you! --Becky

Maybe they would give you a job as the safety officer Jeff? ;)

Jeff at least in another month or so we can watch nascar. I fell last Christmas eve and fractured my elbow. Happens to the best of us, you are a great storyteller!

Janie

Hate to laugh at your experience but it was a good story. Heal quickly.

good grief...your poor daughter! how many people did It take to pick u up off the pavement. I hope you heal up soon sweetie!

Absolutely horrible, Jeff, not only for you but also for your 16 year old. At age 16 everyone wants to grow up fast, but certainly not with a stimulus such as this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back