Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Yakima
I used to have a lot of sinus inflammation and last year when I started using the Trilogy full time, I was going through a tube of Ayr nasal moisturizer weekly and regular use of Afrin to keep nasal airways open. Then we found nasal pressurized spray cans of normal saline (salty sterile water the same concentration as body fluids) helpful.
Then I figured we'd just put Normal Saline in the Trilogy humidifier. This was 9 months ago. Since then I don't need the Ayr or Afrin! My sinuses haven't been this open and clear for years, even going back to before ALS. I'm treating my sinuses all the time I'm in bed with the humidifier hooked up. When I'm up in the wheelchair I don't bother with the humidifier. It doesn't fit on securely with my bracket for the Trilogy.

Recipe for Normal Saline:
Add 8 teaspoons of sea salt (no iodide) to 1 gallon of distilled water. Shake and done.

I hope this helps one or two of you. The humidifier doesn't have any problem with this dilute salt solution and if salt crystals form inside they rinse out with straight distilled water.

That's a great tip, Bruce. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back