Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
GR
City
Athens
Hello! I'm 29M from Greece. Just to get my general medical issues out of the way: I have Hashimoto and urticaria and a microadenoma on the pituitary. Just stating that I'm prone to autoimmunes...

As for my (hopefully not) als related symptoms:

I started having myoclonus and fasciculations in the summer of 2020. Myoclonus mostly on my left leg but also on the right and sometimes feel it near my waist. I hasn't gotten worse overtime, kinda the same frequency and intensity since it stated.
Fasciculations are usually on my left quadricep and less often left calf. Even less often right quadricep and calf and waist.
Last November (2021) I went to a neurologist about this and he ordered an emg (both legs and arms). It came out clean, as both he, and the physiatrist that performed it, told me. (I have attached the results just in case)

Fast forward 4.5 months and my left leg feels weak and numb and almost always like it's sore especially my quadricep. It tires much more easily than my right leg (for example after dance lessons, or walking/prolonged standing).

I gained a lot of weight during my country's second quarantine (November 2020 - May 2021 about 15kg). I'm now 108kg, 177cm so maybe this affects my leg but the problem is that my arm and hand are also weird the last couple of weeks:
My arm just below the shoulder feels very heavy, my elbow and forearm painful and my 4th and 5th finger always numb. I also have to try harder than usual to squeeze my fist around something! For a few days I had fasciculations on my elbow, but they have stopped now.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor this Thursday. I know that usually with a clean emg there is no problem, and maybe my issues are of orthopedic nature (or maybe related to my weight gain?) but I'm worried...

What do you think? Should I stop worrying? 😅

I removed your attachments because they contained identifying information. However they were mostly ncs ( all the charts were). There were a couple of what appeared to be emg waveforms but those are not helpful. If you have a chart of the emg with muscles in the down column and categories of fibs psws etc across you can post that are blocking your name if you want.

a normal emg is hugely reassuring. Pain and numbness don’t sound like ALS. Let us know what the doctor says

I went to an orthopedic doctor and he told me the problem in my arm is with the ulnar nerve. I took NSAIDs for like 10 days and the numbness etc reduced a lot... Thing is, I went to the gym after finishing the treatment and now my elbow hurts in a different spot just from 1 workout! Epicondylitis the doctor said this time, probably because the general area is inflamed due to poor everyday use (computer etc). For the leg he said it's just small inflammations that will go away if I loose weight.

Could it be that my muscles are weak due to nerve damage and that's why I get hurt so easily at the elbow? Wouldn't the EMG show something? I mean it was like 5 months ago

If your issue was dead motor neurons ( ALS) then yes the emg should have showed something. However not strains and minor injuries that the doctor says you have. I would suggest asking to see a physical therapist to evaluate your habits and show you proper form to exercise. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back