My thoughts on the EyeGaze Edge vs Tobii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under Private Insurance (ours was Anthem BC/BS), both eyegaze and PWCs were under a "5-Year Restriction" for replacement. Also under Private Insurance, we were only allowed one Trilogy... which is "rented" on a monthly basis. Darcey's Trilogy provider was Med Inc. and they tried to get a waiver to allow us two. We had one that would hang from the PWC that had to be removed each night for us to go upstairs to bed. Our Med Inc rep was upset that the waiver was disallowed and went to the owner of the Med Inc to see if there were any other options. The owner said, "Give them a 2nd one anyway... and we'll just write it off". So for several years, we were able to enjoy the privilege of two Trilogy machines when only one was being paid by insurance. Know that we are VERY LOYAL to Med Inc for their kindness! Now that Darcey is covered under Medicare, both of her Trilogy machines are being fully paid for by insurance.

Jim

I have to say since going on Medicare with a good supplement in 2016, I've not paid one penny out of pocket for anything except co-payments on prescription drugs under my Plan D. And this year is my lucky year of getting a new open enrollment by reaching age 65. My supplement, beginning August 1, will go from $600 a month to $180 a month.

Update - Just received tracking numbers for new Eyegaze Edge purchase. Computer ships from MD to VA via UPS. Stands (free standing and PWC) ship from Germany to VA via FedEx (shows expected delivery as next Monday).

Also questioned support related to "operations" of the Eyegaze Edge as it looked like it was limited to 1 year. Was told that such support was forever.

My best...

Jim

The new Eyegaze Edge arrived, today. It was packaged into a spiffy backpack (I'll take pictures, later). Piece by piece, I took items out of the backpack and put them in place. Everything... and I mean EVERYTHING... was in its own protective case, mesh bag or box. It appears to be built on the Microsoft SurfacePro 7 tablet with a 12.3” Touchscreen, Intel Core i5, 8GB Memory, 128GB SSD, Display Resolution 2736 x 1824 and 128 GB of SSD storage. It comes with a wireless keyboard and a Bluetooth Speakers (with USB Charge cable). I'll let you know more as we begin to use it (later this afternoon).

My best...

Jim

That's great Jim. Congrats.

Cann't wait to know Darcy's first impressions on using the device.

Keep it going:)

How did it go Jim?

I've written what I'd consider a fairly short comment... BUT IT WON'T ALLOW IT. Again a size issue with posting. GGGrrrrrr!

So... I set up login credentials for all the things that Darcey uses which require them. I then logged her Home Page (as Facebook) and created Items on the Bookmark Bar so she could easily go where she wants. For many items, there are two ways to get into a web location... (1) go to the Internet tab and select the page that you want... or (2) use the Eyegage Edge's built-in program choices to get there. After playing with both, she has migrated to the latter choice as the pages are better formatted for the tablet's display.

[END OF PART 1]

Darcey used the new Eyegaze Edge all of yesterday. I asked multiple times what she thought... and she said, "Its not much different." I've asked her if she likes it any better... and she says, "Its not much different." I asked her if she felt the display was any better... and she said, "Its not much different... but it does seem to be a bit smaller." So there you have it from Darcey's perspective. I asked her how she likes playing things in Netflix with the new bluetooth speakers connected... and she said, "I really like that you can put it on my chest right in front of me. It is better than the device's speaker and louder.

[END OF PART 2]

From my perspective, I offer this - Her asking me to "fix" something has reduced considerably. The display might be 1/2" smaller than her previous one... but it seems to be better in color and sharper in image. We're getting better and quicker calibrations than we had been getting on the older one. And we've moved from Windows 8 (yuck) to Windows 10. I've seen some new features that look pretty neat considering that Darcey's voice is almost gone. Understanding her has become extremely difficult (of course she feels that the problem is mine because she feels understandable to herself)... so the fact that there is a very complete phrase area for "talking" could become very useful in the near future.

[END OF PART 3]

The new stands arrived from Germany, today. I haven't opened them, yet. And here's a picture of the nifty carry case for it all...

20200605_115731.jpg

My best...

Jim

[PART 4 & THE END OF THIS UPDATE]

When I began trimming my update, I included the first two paragraphs... and that was too much. This really is ridiculous... and sad. :(

You are supposed to 50,000 characters according to David. It doesn’t look near that ETA 1996 without the picture

it won’t let me post it either.

Jim, let me know how you like the stand mounts for the Eyegaze Edge. That has been a problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back