Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
toronto
As of three days ago I've noticed that I was having a hard time pressing the unlock button on my ipod touch with my right hand, which was something I had never had a problem with. My hand felt very weak, I couldn't apply very much strength with it, and I was having this constant burning sensation on the hand and on the arm as if the blood supply to the arm had been restricted. Also, I have been having some what frequent muscle cramps on the legs for a few months now. On day 2, I took a day off work to go to the hospital upon which the doc tells me that it probably isn't ALS, and that it might be the swelling of the wrist (no swelling is visible on the wrist however) that is pressing on the nerve that is causing the problem. The doc then proceeded to give me a blood test to see if there was anything wrong with my body. The result comes out next Monday but from my research, I'm pretty sure you cannot diagnose ALS from blood tests so I'm not sure how much of a help this will be. Day 3, which was yesterday, I wake up to find that the strength on my right arm has come back and the burning sensation is gone but this time, its the left arm that's having the issue. Since then, the symptoms has been reoccuring and disappearing numorous times throughout the day. Anybody have an idea what this might be..? ALS maybe?

If you are worried you need to go back to see your doctor who has the expertise to diagnose medical conditions hope you get an answer and the info you need.

Good luck

I'm not sure how "the doc tells me that it probably isn't ALS" is even coming up. Did you suggest to them that YOU think you have ALS?

Many diagnostic tests are required as ALS is a disease of excluding everything else. You should discuss your concerns with your family doctor then see if you can be referred to a neurologist if they think you require further examination.

I'm not sure how "the doc tells me that it probably isn't ALS" is even coming up. Did you suggest to them that YOU think you have ALS?

Many diagnostic tests are required as ALS is a disease of excluding everything else. You should discuss your concerns with your family doctor then see if you can be referred to a neurologist if they think you require further examination.

i told the doc that i was worried that it might be ALS, and she said "it didn't even hit my mind that it would be ALS, you probably don't have to worry about that". As I said on the original post, she said it might be the swelling of the wrist that was pressing on the nerve that might be giving me the issue. So she just prescribed me a cream that you apply to relieve the swelling. But I clearly don't see any swelling there. Should I contact my doc and ask to see a neurologist? I just wanna know if my symptoms are serious enough to warrant one.

If you think you need to, and only you will know deffinately see a neurologist with experience in the neuromuscular system hopefully you can get the answers you need.

Three days of symptoms? Nope, this is not ALS --seriously. Read the stickies, follow your doctors instructions and stay off Dr. Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back