Country
US
State
ma
City
holyke
My story,

I’m a 30 year old male,

In March (09') I started having a burning sensation in the back of my throat on the right side,(red bumpy patch) It felt raw and had a burning sensation around the lesion. I was also getting tightness around the throat area and sometimes slight pain. I went to the doc and did all kinds of tests (strep, Mono, blood work) It all came back negative. About a week after this started, I started feeling awful (couldn’t sleep, tired, heart palpitations, sweating, feeling really run down) This lasted over a month and the doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong. At the end of May I started feeling better than I started getting ear symptoms in my right ear (ringing, fullness, high frequency like when I went to the gym and put my headphones on it was like I was in front of a concert speaker, I went to a high school graduation and had to cover my ear). Around this time I also came down with light sensitivity (which is now gone). Around June I started getting pain and burning sensations and sometime throbbing pain in my tongue ( primarily on my right side, sometime on the bottom sometimes in the back) Doc thought it was GERD. This went on for about 1-1/2 months. One night the pain and burning was bad so I took an Aleve and went to bed, next morning I woke up and when I started to talk I noticed I had a really tight throat and nasal area and it was effecting the way I talk, almost like the right side wasn't working properly. I went to the Neurologist a couple of weeks ago and he said that he thinks it was either shingles that was in my throat on my right side and that the shingles effected the nerves on that side (which is why I was having the burning sensation on my tongue and ear problems). he also said it could be a neurological condition (I forgot the name) that effects the nerves. he said it could take up to 4-5 months for the nerves to full grow back or heal themselves. My concern is the speech being effected, I'm not slurring my words at all and nobody has noticed or said anything about it but, I can tell that my words are harder to get out sometimes if feels like my throat tightens up when I speak, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes I even have a really dry tongue, than it will just go away. Does this at all sound like Bulbar ALS. I asked the Doc and he thought I was crazy but, I'm nervous. The burning on my tongue is sometime still there but, not as bad as when it was at its peak. I can move my tongue all around and it doesn’t have any weakness at all. What do you guy's think, the doc told me it could take awhile for this to clear up.

does not sound at all like ALS. Sound's like Bell's palsy. I do not even think ALS should be on your radar..

I agree with Hoping. Sounds nothing like bulbar ALS. (But it sure sounds uncomfortable!)

Hope it clears up soon.

Shingles or Bells Palsy sounds about right to me too. Both can take a while to clear up. Good luck.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back