00/0000
Country
UK
State
NA
City
N/A
Hello everyone.

I'm a little nervous to be posting this but here goes. I am genuinely sorry to be bothering you all - I've read quite a few threads over the last few days and the stickies did quite a bit to alleviate my fears. And yet, here we are. I'm a women in her mid 30s.

This all started back in November when I noticed that my right leg muscle felt quite odd, and that It always seemed to be quite tight. I walk a lot, I run, I have an active job so I put it down to nothing. But the feeling never really went away. I noticed that it became quite painful to walk and that my leg/foot felt heavy. I would sometimes get this hideous cramping in my right calf muscle and foot. In february I started to get persistent shoulder and arm pain on my right side that made it difficult for me to do anything for very long. It felt quite strange, like pins and needles.

I developed a burning feeling in the base of my feet and hands. And then the twitching started. (Which naturally lead me to Dr Google - sorry in advance - and then to my GP). I explained that I seemed to be getting almost constant, I can't even describe it, twitching of my muscles that can almost move one a finger, or my hand. This has been happening since mid-march. These mainly happen at rest. I know the fact that the twitching is in multiple locations - both feet, both hands, my right shoulder and both legs - is a good sign. The twitching in my right leg is the most worrying - as that's where i get the cramping and that's where the perceived weakness has been for the longest. It feels like a tight muscle tense and it's very worrying. I have also become aware that I seem to be scuffing my right foot a lot and that my right leg and arm seem weak. I have dropped a few things, but seem to be able to complete tasks. It's idiotic that I never linked the hip and shoulder pain to weakness earlier and am actually quite annoyed with myself for it.

I also developed some breathing issues in march - a clear chest x-ray was the result of that. It's being put down to my acid reflux but that's made me go. Hmm.

The neurologist did an evaluation and didn't make any comment on my reflexes and strength. I asked if everything was normal, she said yes. She conducted an MRI at this stage, which came back clear. She then decided to conduct an EMG although she suggested that she wasn't expecting to find much. Which, I know, I should take great comfort in. I am just concerned that I haven't expressed myself clearly enough to her regarding my weakness. I was quite flappy and don't think I expressed my issues around my feet or walking clearly enough. Or the timeline. However, she did make me stand on my heels ext.

I know that all the right things are being done, and I also know that if the EMG comes back clear then I don't need to worry. From everyone on this forum I get that a clean exam + a clean EMG is a good indicator. I'm just concerned about the wait, concerned about the future, and concerned about what all of this means. I am due to speak to her again this week and, since i had quite a rough weekend with the twitching, I don't quite know what to say to her.

Sophie, in all likelihood you have BFS that might be a remnant of a virus. You might try a few drops of magnesium lotion where it gets painful, if it still does.

It doesn't really matter how flappy you were -- the exam, EMG and MRI are what they are. They look for everything. While you await the EMG, looking closely at your diet, hydration, stress, sleep and exercise (are you stretching enough morning and night before you go running or working, for example?) may pay dividends. If it's safe where you are, you might also try to get a therapeutic massage or try self-massage -- there are all kinds of videos on that.

I can't make you less concerned, but I can tell you that I'm not.

Best,
Laurie

Hi lgelb, thanks for the reply.

"It doesn't really matter how flappy you were -- the exam, EMG and MRI are what they are." - wise words indeed. Thank you. I suppose my own inability to express something clearly does pail in comparison to the actual diagnostic stuff. I think thats some good advice around looking at diet, stretching, and hydration while I wait. Nothing to be lost from it!

I guess all I can do is wait on the EMG, trust that result - im not going to become one of these people who worry about it being done too early! - and hopefully get on with my life.

Thank you for your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back