Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tennessee
City
kingsport
i just wanted to say i am very sorry. i did not mean to offend anyone here. i joined this forum to seek help cuz im terrified that i have this devistating disease and im very sorry that u guys and girls have to suffer with this and i am praying for u all. i am about to be a father and i need to pull myself together for my child. i was just tryin to seek advice from people who actually have als i thought it would help me i did not mean to offend anyone. im not that smart of a person and am not that good with computers so sorry if my threads where hard to read ill try to make this one better. well just a little bit about myself is i have started this whole cycle about a year ago now and it did not start with the twitching it started with other symptoms. it started with me running to the er 3 even 4 times a week. i was a assistant grocrey manager and a promising carrer. they eventually fired me because i was calling out everyday. everytime i went to work i felt like i was gonna pass out . i could not lift anything cuz i felt i was gonna drop out. i got dizzy i had severe headaces and i could not physically work in my mind they symptoms where so bad i cant even explain what they where like but they where so real and people thought i was makin them up and just did not want to work. then i got another job and i thought things would get better btu they didnt. every time i started to walk i got these real real hot sensations down my back and legs and i felt like if i kept on walking i was going to drop out. then i lost that job. i finally got in to therapy at this point and they kept tellin me it was anxiety and i just could not belive that this was anxiety. my symptoms lasted from the time i woke up to the time i went to sleep. it wasnt i had an anxiety attack i had these symptoms all day long and it drove me nuts i could not keep a job and some weeks i could barley walk or get up without nfeeling like i was gonna drop out like pass out and i was trapped in my mind goin nuts. all i wanted to do was work hard like i use to. my therapist kept tellin me it is anxiety and i just could not belive her. now for the past six months or so i have been having muscle fasciculations and it did not start out this bad. it started out with twitching in my eyes and legs. i did not think much of it but i asked the er dock about it and he said it was nothing to worry about. then i kept tellin my therapist about it and she said it was from my anxiety. then i just delt with them then i moved to tennessee to start over and the twitching has no got worse. its to the point now where i am felling my muscles bubbling and jerking all over but they are real bad in my legs. there is one in my lower left leg that never stops movin its like i dont even feel it half the time ill just look and there it is movin and sometimes its real hard to see but its constantly movin and the one in my uppue right leg twitches violently. you can see it jumpin through my clothes. the ones in my arms i can do somethin with them and boom the muscles in my arms will start jumpin and i can feel them like twitchin and i also get them everywhere else and now im obseed with them. they will not stop they are there all day everyday and now im obseesed with the internet all day i just look for stuff to try to ease my mind but i am convinced i have als and im terrified can bfs be this bad? and can it really show up on a emg this bad? my neuro said he dosent think i have it but why id=s he sending me to an als specialts? im terrified and now i just got a job and i start tonight and im scared to go to workm now cuz i dont want to lose another job. i dont want to go ther and be like im dying and start to feel weird and leave work on my first day. and i am on meds now i have been on them for 5 weeks now but nothing has realkly gotten better but my main question is do thall think i have als? can bfs make fasciculations this bad?

treyo09, I haven't really been following your posts (sorry, the lack of punctuation in them was too much for me) But, no, what you are describing does not sound at all like ALS. ALS doesn't cause anxiety symptoms, it doesn't usually cause sensory problems (like the burning you feel going down your spine).

I know that when one searches the internet for twitching that ALS is one of the first things that pops up, and its a shame, because there are so many other causes for twitching and fasciculations than this rare disease. And, very importantly, they would most definitely shown up on your EMG.

Several on here I believe have already responded that you do not describe signs that would point to ALS. Your doctors have not only reassured you, but given you other reasons more likely. Just because you were referred to a neurologist that works in the ALS field does not hold any secret meaning for you. Its just that you are having muscle issues and they deal with muscles. I believe that neurologists are also psychiatrists for the most part anyway, if not all of them. So, there is an established link between neurological symptoms and the mind/emotions.

Do your very best not to keep researching ALS, or anything else for a while on the internet! Wean yourself away from it. Give your medications more time to help with your anxiety, I think sometimes adjustments with dosage need to be made.

If you've got to be on the computer, then play games or something. Even go to "free rice" (google it, as I don't want to post the link here on the forum) that site will increase your vocabulary and you will be donating rice to third world countries every time you play, so not only would you be helping yourself by taking your mind off of your symptoms, but you would be contributing to society as well :)

You said you're soon to become a father. That is such a great blessing! You have so much to focus on that is positive, a baby, a new job with its opportunities. Don't spend your energy worrying about failing at your job, or the great unknowns of this life. Look at what is right in front of you that is good instead.

Trusting the good advise of your doctors and those that have tried to help you here is the best way for you. No one has any reason to try to mislead you.

Good luck at your first day(night) on your new job.

take care, :)

to rose

so rose your saying my fasciculations can show up on a emg even if they are not from als? so fasciculations on a emg does not mean als? and why is it that my lowe left leg is a very fine twitch that u can hardley see sometimes ots just movin constantly and my legs feel like a boiling pot just bubbling everywhere all day and u and see them through my clothes all day they dont go away. so this does not mean als really?

so rose your saying my fasciculations can show up on a emg even if they are not from als? so fasciculations on a emg does not mean als? and why is it that my lowe left leg is a very fine twitch that u can hardley see sometimes ots just movin constantly and my legs feel like a boiling pot just bubbling everywhere all day and u and see them through my clothes all day they dont go away. so this does not mean als really?

Trey, here is a quote from Wright that was a response to one of your earlier posts "Fasics will be picked-up by an EMG whether they are from ALS or BFS or any other reason. It doesn't matter how many there are, the EMG will see them. Your neuro would be able to tell whether they were benign or pathologic and if your neuro cleared you, then they are benign. Once again, excellent news.

Put all of this together and you have nothing but fantastic news. Congratulations. You should now go out and celebrate. This is going to be one great 4th of July for you. Take care."

And, no, what you describe does not sound like what I've read from those that do have limb onset of ALS (I have bulbar MND, the beginning of the disease is not like limb onset, so I don't have personal experience to draw from, other than to tell you that I've not had this happen to me)

Take care, :)

One Last Time

Yes, BFS can cause as much twitching as you have. As a matter of fact, global twitching as you are describing it (especially in the absence of weakness and atrophy), is more indicative of BFS than ALS.

Yes, twitches from BFS will be seen on an EMG.

Yes, anxiety can cause the types of symptoms you are describing.

If your symptoms have been happening as long as you say they have, the EMG would most likely show other pathological signs: positive sharp waves, fibrillations, enlarged motor unit potentials, decreased recruitment. YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THOSE THINGS ON YOUR EMG.

You ask if anyone on here thinks you have ALS: No AND your neurologist doesn't think you have it.

There is nothing else we can do for you on here. Get off of the internet . . . feel good about life . . . and get yourself better, mentally, because that is where you're obviously having problems!

treyo09, just a little something to help you with your posts. When you are posting, after you write in the message, then go to the top right of that message and click on the little box that has an abc check mark in it, and it will spell check your words for you.

On some Internet Explorer versions, if you go to "tools" in the bar at the top of the page, and click on it, IESPELL will show up. You can also use this to correct spelling, and make your post easier to read.

Do not feel bad about your having to use spell checkers. I always use them because I cannot spell worth a hoot.

I agree that there are many other things going on that may not be ALS. So please try to concentrate on your family and job.

Be at peace.

thanks guys for all of your advice

thank u so much for your advice im just really scared i hope u understand. but im still scared cuz the twitching will not stop no matter if im stressed or not. so can bfs still happen if ur not stressed. and the main reason why im scared is the ones in my legs just dont stop and the one i told u about in my left lower leg i can go walk somewhere and sit down and look and there it is movin and jumpin and so is the on just above my right knee the violent one. and when i was in the barber shop today i was sittin in the cair and they were just bubblin all over and i had a bad one in my upper left leg that was goin crazy but im really scared of the one in my lower left leg because it dose not stop ever. and now it is startin to feel stiff right there. my last question is this. that twitch i have in my lower left leg is the one that bothers me the most and sometimes it is hard to see it movin like a very fine fasciculation and sometimes all day i can feel it movin and like pullin kind of and it never stops dosent that sound like als fasciculation cuz from what ive read im scared and dosent bfs twitches go away when u flex the muscle? im still very confused about bfs. this will be my last question and but im kind of freaked out cuz now i get tired easily just from walking can this be bfs? anyways can bfs get this severe and i thougfht bfs goes away and comes back mine dosent go away dosent that indicate als? please answer this last question i wont bother u guys anymore i promise

treyo09, you are in my prayers. There is not much more I can say. May God bless you. Oh yeah, and good luck!

Irma

dosent that indicate als?

no Trey, that does not indicate als. What would indicate als would have been different findings fom your emg, and your emg was clean....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back