10/2014
Country
US
State
NH
City
Pittsfield
Hi all,
My son was diagnosed just over 4 years ago (October 22, 2014) at the age of 22. Sunday will be his 27th birthday. As we with ALS, four years in and things are looking grim.
I was wondering if there are others out there that are in their 20’s and battling this horrible disease? My son is an amazingly strong person, but sometimes that comes at a cost. He doesn’t talk about his disease with anyone. I thought maybe I could find someone who is closer to his age who is also suffering. Not that I want another young person to be living with ALS, not at all, but maybe just to give my son someone to talk to.
Thank you in advance.

I'm sorry about your son, G. He might check out the Young Faces of ALS. They're also on Facebook. There are definitely others in their 20s and he will find some there.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do.

Best,
Laurie

Agree with Laurie. There are many groups on Facebook where he will find young people with ALS.

Hi, I was diagnosed with ALS at 31. I'm in a Facebook group called ALS Under 50. There are many members in the group in their 20s. The group owner is 29 I think, and we recently had a 22 year old join the group. It's a cozy spot to find others in your similar age and life stage who are going through this.

I’m sorry to hear how isolated your son is feeling as a young person with ALS. Have you looked to see if your local ALS Association has a support group? Ours has several young people and many of them have become friends beyond our monthly meetings.
Good luck!

Thank you to all the responses. I will definitely let him know what’s out there. He doesn’t tend to reach out but my e just maybe I can convince him to. Thanks again, Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back