My son is a body builder his father has als.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gina

Distinguished member
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2004
Country
CA
State
ONTARIO
City
CAMBRIDGE
Hi,MY husband is in the late stages of als.Before this horrible ordeal all started he was very muscular and physically fit.He now has very little muscle left.I was wondering if anyone knew if they were any correlation between overexerting the muscles and als.It just seems to happen to so many athletes and people who are involved in extreem physical sports or activities?Thier is no history of als in my husbands familly so i guess his type would be called sparodic.My son loves to go to the gym and lift weights and is quite muscular as a result.I used to think this was wonderfull but now i am scared that this may increase his chances of developing als. any thoughts or feedback would be helpfull........thanks Gina:-?

My own opinion is the more muscle you have, the more you have to lose so you may do better IF you do get ALS.
AL.

als

I agree with Al, My husband was sports minded and quite muscular and because he had alot of muscles the diease took longer to take all his muscles away. We where also told" A" sterotype people get this disease more, not sure if this is a medical truth but he has lived his life, like 2 lives in one, working like 2 men in a one man body.

I think you are right about that al......but im still concerned that the overexertion of the muscles may be a factor....Thanks Gina

Yes that would also apply to my husband ,very hard worker could also do the work of two men....do you mean A type personality or Athletic when you say "A"...sorry sometimes dont get these abreviations?Thanks for your quick reply and input!...gina

hi gina

Yes I meant "a" type personallity, again not sure but when we where going to Dr. Strong in London we would talk to other ALS survivors and most seemed to be " A" type people hard workers, hard social people involved in commuity activities etc.

hi thier,yah then that would be him too!Thats really interesting....thanks for the clarification...Gina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back