Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
For those of you who know and remember the band named "Pink Floyd", you might remember that David Gilmour is one of the band members. Seeing David Gilmour in concert has long been a "bucket list" item for me... though not one I ever imagined that I'd see fulfilled. David's last tour was in 2006 (it produced the wonderful "Live at Gdansk" album)... and it wasn't thought that we'd see him tour ever again.

In April, I will travel by train from Virginia to New York to see David Gilmour perform at the Madison Square Garden in New York City. This concert sold out in less than 5 minutes and I managed to snag two tickets in VIP Level III seating. My son, Jim (who lives in Brooklyn), will join me for this once in a lifetime event. When I purchased these tickets in July, Darcey didn't expect to still be around come April. But one I had tickets, she said, "I've got to stick around long enough to hear about this concert!" And she's still with me to do exactly that.

As we are now just over a month away, I'm working at putting together the right team of loving friends (and we're fortunate to have many) who will stay with Darcey during my 4 days away. She's so excited for me... and I'm tremendously stressed and concerned about her. I mean, really... no one can care for her quite as well as I have. But she's so looking forward to me taking this trip that she's got me believing that it will all work out better than we could hope.

Anyway... send good thoughts that it all works out. I'm so, SO EXCITED to be going on this trip...

Jim

Jim, You will have an amazing time. If Darcy is okay with it, it will be okay. Most of our pals dont want anyone but their primary cals. Be glad your loving wife is willing to kick you out to NY for a dream to come true. It is truly selfless.

OMG that is SERIOUSLY amazing!!!! I would so love to see him live, this is a grand opportunity and at Madison Square Garden - wow and wow.

I can imagine your mixed feelings though at leaving Darcey in another's care. Well we know that it will take many others to take your place, it's not like you can leave one other person looking after the one you care for. Of course no one will do anything as well as you do, but you have a month now to pound the training into them ... in the nicest way possible ;)

I will never forget that for me to take a few days respite (that I never ended up getting) I had organised for at least 2 people to be with Chris all the time, and often there would have been 3 sometimes 4 here. All just to take the place of little ol me ...

It's all going to work, and you are way overdue for a respite trip, regardless of how much you love looking after Darcey. I'm happy dancing madly here!

Wow Jim, so excited for you. I love New York and Madison Square Garden! Seeing David is so incredibly amazing. I wold be jealous if I didn't think you so deserve this trip. Lol.

I am so glad you have such a great support network. You can go and know she will be taken care of. She wants you to go so bad that she will do well because she is so happy for you.

I am singing and dancing for you too!

Attachments

• David Gilmour.png
    David Gilmour.png
    326.2 KB · Views: 124
Jim - amazing! So very happy for you that this is happening. It must be meant to be or you wouldn't have been able to get those tickets considering how quick they sell out. I know it's difficult to leave Darcy for those days but I bet it ends up being good for you in the long run. There is really nothing quite like a little you time, not selfish, it's important to do besides it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

That's wonderful, Jim! I'm very excited for you, and I know Darcey is pleased for you. You are so loving and generous with each other that I can't imagine any other response. I know that it will be tough to leave her, even with trusted friends, but I'm sure she will be fine. In fact, she'll be more than fine knowing that you are making the trip!

Awesome!
Becky

Good for you Jim! You are lucky to have a network of trusted friends to care for Darcey, and I'm sure she will be happy to hear about the concert. Have a great trip!

V

Should be a great show. Enjoy!

Wow! What a fantastic weekend you have planned. I wish you an amazing time, free from worry, and full of "selfish" you time. Eat good food, drink good drinks, take yourself out for desserts, see the sights and just have some time where you don't have to DO anything at all. What a wonderful thing you absolutely owe yourself.

I put the "selfish" in quotes, because I don't believe it's at ALL the case. Selfish indicates no thoughts or concern for others. Self care is more like it- and self care is an absolute divine right (I have to justify getting the odd pedicure somehow, so work with me here).

You deserve this.....sounds fun as hell!
It seems weird that we (old people) still like rock and roll. I like to listen to Metallica while I am working out. Pink Floyd is awesome:)

Amazing! Darcy must be so happy that she is here to see this dream come true for you. Enjoy and regale her with stories when you get back, it will be medicine for her.

Oh JOY! Seeing how excited you are must surely lift Darcy's spirits to the heavens. That's the kind of self-care that takes care of you both. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back