Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
San Antonio
Hi. A few months ago I started having muscle twitches all over my body but primarily in my left leg. On top of that, my muscles have started fatiguing quickly and shake whenever I use them. I used to take my dog for a mile walk everyday but walking that far now makes my calves feel extremely tight like they're about to lock up. Holding a plank makes my entire arms shake when a few months ago it would be no problem at all. I also have a recurring vibrating feeling in the arch of my right foot.

I did some googling last month and came across this forum and reassured myself it wasn't ALS because I still have normal strength and mobility and numbness and tingling isn't usually associated with ALS. I went to see my primary care physician however last Friday and he mentioned it could be early signs of ALS. The worry came rushing back. He did a few in offices tests and I had normal reflexes, and symmetrical strength in all my limbs. I'm going in to do blood work tomorrow and if it comes back normal he's going to schedule an EMG.

Does this sound like early signs of ALS? I'm a male aged 34.

Thank you for your time

I'm sorry your PCP frightened you. I don't understand why he would say that. Your age and symptoms stack the odds very much in your favor. I cannot remember an onset like that in anyone here.

Widespread twitching, easy muscle fatigue and shaking argue against ALS. The vibrating arch in conjunction with the rest suggest possible associations with a current or past virus, lack of refreshing sleep, hydration, nutrition and/or balanced electrolytes [which are not always evident in bloodwork, though I'm glad you're getting the basics done]. You mention the planks and I would ask if you are making sure you are stretching enough before doing holds like that. It's very common not to and muscles get tight/irritable over time. You could also have a nerve or muscle injury that is ramping up your responses in other parts of your body.

I expect the EMG, if needed, will be reassuring, but there is plenty to think about meanwhile. If nothing else pans out, if available safely, you might also think about therapeutic massage.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back