02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Hello everyone,

Beth and I just picked up our "new" 2004 Chevrolet Venture side entry wheelchair van and while it is not like buying a sports car it is pretty cool anyway. I have put some pictures in my profile if anyone wants to have a look.

The concrete walkway and pad for the porch lift is done and the carpenter is coming next Monday to do the porch modifications. Once that is done the installer is going to come and install the porch lift, the stair lift for inside and deliver my power chair, all loaners from the ALS society.

So things are moving along and hopefully by the end of the month I will be wheeling in and out of the house and not doing much hobbleflopping anymore.

Now if there were some way to eat that steak that I saw in the fridge....

Fantastic!I am glad you are getting yourself so setup. It will really be nice for the both of you.

Put your steak in the Vita-Mix and enjoy. Put one piece in your mouth for taste.

Great news Barry and Beth, If I had a magic wand I sure would whip you up a Steak dinner.. But good news on the other stuff.. I always joke with my hubby that people get Corvette's when they turn forty.. I got this disease.. Go figure...lol.....

That is wonderful! Very sharp looking van. Have fun out there

Happy wheeling! I hope you have a few choice phrases stored up, such as, "Beth, I could've taken that curve if I were driving!" or "Do you have to step on the brakes at the last minute, you're gonna launch me through the windshield?!?" LOL Wouldn't be the same without a backseat driver on board!

Last edited:
Toys , gotta have em.

Joel is correct about the steak, toss it in a vita-mix with some beef broth. Make sure not to trim the fat off. 3 seconds later ... BBQ steak patte , add to some fluffy mashed potatoes and dig in.

Glen

Awesome looking vehicle! We are just about to start looking. Will your chair be in the passenger seat or behind it? What made you choose the position you did? Would the headroom work for a man just over 6 ft. ? We were told today to ask other PALS questions about vans.

As to the steak, I had a friend in high school that would chew the foods she loved and spit them out so she wouldn't gain weight. She found it satisfying after she filled up! Maybe it would work!

CJ, I have learned (sort of) to keep my electronic mouth shut about Beth's driving. I am already bruised as a result of my backseat driving and am always amazed at her dexterity and skill at how she can slap me and drive in traffic at the same time. :roll::roll: Really though, she is a very good driver and I have never fallen asleep with anyone else driving (not even with me driving :shock:)

There is nothing worse than a former driver who knows it all and has to use a machine to tell you so.

love the van , i want a van myself i am so comfortable in them

Missy, the reason we chose this vehicle was that it is in very good shape, low mileage, a very good price price and we only had to drive for two hours to get it (which is something for Canada)

The front seats come out so when I get my chair (hopefully in the next few weeks) I will take out the passenger seat and sit in my chair. Because of the ramp the passenger seat does not recline and is an uncomfortable straight back so it will be good to change the seat out. The van has 56.5" of clearance at the ramp and 59" of headroom behind the front seats. I am 5'11" so I hope that once I get my chair that everything will fit.

The problem with the steak is that I cant put anything in my mouth if I don't want to breathe it and my tongue is such a mess from my mouth hanging open all the time that I really can't taste much anyway. Did I mention that Bulbar ALS sucks? My wicked sister said "Barry, this means that you cant spit and can't swallow?" I told her she was watching the wrong kind of movies.

Barry-Congratulations on the very spiffy new car!
Good move, keeping the electronic voice quiet while Beth is driving!

Well, Barry, I'm so pleased for you! I've checked out the pictures and it IS nice looking and comfortable looking, too. Absolutely more comfortable than a little 'ol sports car. Good deal you'll get to sit up front and look out the window. And the Chair by the end of the month? Much better than the earlier prediction. Yeah, team!

My husband is going to HATE IT when he can no longer eat! I think he will hate losing that more than speaking!

C'mon, Bear! No little phrases like, "Holding on for dear life if I could!" You are just too kind! And a rare "bird."

Really glad you got some transportation that can accommodate the chair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back