jennibf

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
AL
City
Centreville
I picked up my records as instructed to take to UAB to the neuro-muscular dude and looked over them of course :)

Here are some of the things he wrote:

Reflexes:
Brachioradialis: Left is 2 + and patient has bilateral positive Hoffman's and a jaw jerk. On the right -2+

Everything was 2+ except my left and right patellas and they were both "3"

Presence of hyperreflexia, with a family history of Spinal Muscular Atrophy; Her work up has been largely negative for an explanation but remaining considerations include primary lateral sclerosis, demyelinating disease or other structural or inflammatory disease of the brainstem, etc..

19 more days until UAB.

By the way, my feet are shrinking.

Hang in there. I hope the time passes quickly for you.

Robert

Hi Jennifer, I think this is a "Wright" question, if you want the "right" answer, LOL.

I do know that 2 and even +2 is always considered a normal reflex. 3 and +3 are sometimes considered brisk, other doctors say this can still be normal.

Hang in there! :smile:

Jennibf,
What kind of history of Spinal Muscular Atrophy do you have? Is there a history of the adult type which would be type IV or the Finkel type or is the other infant type?

Hi :)

Diane,
I emailed Wright last night and sent in some stuff about my EMG and he said the same thing about the reflexes so I feel reassured about that. Thank you :) Isn't Wright amazing? :)
He thinks the EMG points more toward demyelinating which is something the doctor speculated on.

And Tom,
The SMAs that we know a lot about, one is SMA type 1-this was my nephew and he passed away at 9.5 months. The other two we are not sure about but still are in childhood. I really, REALLY do not think it is SMA but my doctor asked about muscle diseases in my family.

Thank you all!

jennifer

Jenni,

Hang in there! You're another day closer to an answer! I'm pulling for you!

Zaphoon

HI Jenn!

I agree, hang in there! You are getting closer.

*question: is hyperflexia the same as brisk reflexes? YOu would think that I would know, but I am no longer using google for any health related issue's. (only for my kids issues)

thanks

april

Yes it is the same. The thing is that back in August the ortho doctor said my reflexes were so brisk that I actually had clonus and I saw it. However, I had a torn tendon in my foot and was very cold that day so I have no clue if that affected it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back