Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
SD
City
Faith
My dear Mother In Law, grandmother,great grandmother,wife and mother to all of us who love her was diagnosed with PBP the day before Thanksgiving. Our family is reeling with pain and disbelief. Finding this place was a God send! My Mother In Law is 80 biologicly but works like a 60 year old. They have a cattle ranch and until recently she was very active in the day to day running of things. Nine years ago she had a horse accident..she was 71. She landed on her head and received a brain injury. She recovered slowly and we were so blessed to still have the mother we all knew and loved with the exception of her right side. For a couple years it was fine then slowly went downhill. She'd be normal in the morning but as the day wore on you could see her right side drooping. Soon her speech started to slur and she went several years she could speak good in the morning but again as the day progressed she lost her clear speech. It's been probably two years now that her speech took a dive for the worse. She started seeing neurologists who one said she had mini strokes one said something else..so on and so forth. She started choking and was unable to drink liquids. Got t he thinkening stuff and went a few months that way. The day before Thanksgiving she was diagnosed with PBP. Does anyone know if her head injury accident could of contributed to this? At present she's lost a lot of weight. Is scheduled soon for a feeding tube. She can't speak at all and makes gurgly noises, chokes or gags easily.
And she sleeps a lot. Are these symptoms normal? Again I'm so thankful for finding this place. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions anyone may have.

So sorry to welcome you Kate.

I would be asking about having her breathing checked. All the MND are accompanied by fatigue, but it's also an important sign of CO2 build up.

You will have to ask the neurologist about the head injury, there are some theories, but in fact they do not know what causes this disease at all. I think you just have to accept this is what it is and move forward with helping as much as you can to make her comfortable and able to enjoy as much life as possible every day.

Thank You Tillie and God Bless you! It's hard because she has a husband and we are just out in the wings on this whole thing. Learning and Living. God will see us through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back