Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NJ
City
So. Plainfield
it is progressing very quickly. She is 78. From what I can see in hindsight, she developed right arm weakness, and then was hit with bulbar symptoms.

So of course I did on line research once she got the diagnosis. And here's the deal: I am a 44 year old mother of four children. I twitch constantly. Like popcorn. Calf, thigh, bicep, eye, stomach, etc.

So on my mom's first visit to the ALS clinic, while talking w/the neurologist, I say, "So I hear that muscle twitching is a symptom." He says, "Yes."

I say, "Well, I get muscle twitches. Should I be worried about some genetic component here?"

He says, "Well, everyone gets muscle twitches. I mean, it's not like you get them every day all the time."

I said, "As a matter of fact, I do."

He then went on to tell me that if I didn't have weakness, yada, yada, I can't worry myself. Who can predict if I'll get it? Told me not to worry. :?:

So my question, and I know it's probably been answered a zillion times here, but, hey, my mom does have ALS...................is this how the twitching would start out? Like all over, popping around? Or would you expect it to be confined?

I'm trying not to "go there" in that I think my right arm is weaker than my left. I do Yoga, and I have more strength in my left arm. I'm righty. The other night, while lifting light weights out to the side of my body, my instructor told me to "Look in the mirror." I was lifting out the left weight so high, and the right side wasn't. So I looked lopsided.

Again, I'm not going there yet, though. But I am worried about the twitching. Anyone?

I'm in the same boat, as my dad has PMA, a form of ALS, so of course, I'm thinking along those lines, too. However, my understanding is that ALS twtiches are almost always preceeded by notceable muscle weakness, as in, you can't lift your hairbrush.

I'm a rightie, too, but often find myself doing things with my left arm, like scrubbing a sink. That leads me to believe that your dominant side isn't always your stronger side!

I do get twitches in my calves/feet and back after a hard workout (I'm a runner and do some light weights as well), and sometimes in the morning before getting up. But since I managed to do my usual 45 pushups yesterday (on my toes, not my knees! ;)), I'm goinng to relax and stop worrying for now.

I hope you can, too!

I am not diagnosed yet, but going through the process to find out what is going on.

Anyway, I twitch all over. My neuro told me only 7% of cases present with twiching first. Everyone seems to be unique. I did have an all over weakness for months before the twiching. and my thigh muscles were weak and my knee would give out (never fell). before twitching. I was also pregnant and then had some issues after giving birth. I ahd assumed that the tired/weakness/heaviness in my arms and legs and back were just from recovering.....then the twitching. So the way I see it i did have weakness prior to the twiching. I dont know if it is the clinical kind, all I know is that one year ago I was doing pilates and playing tennis 4x a week with no proplem. Today i cant do that. When I try to do pilates my thigh muscles shake and i cant hold the same positions I use to. I am talking only after5 seconds the muscles shake.

I guess my point is that if you are able to still lift wieghts and work out, I would not panic yet. I of course understand your concern, who would not? I think there is some sort of gene test you can get, but would you really want to know? nothing may develop for a long time.

Everyone can say that twitching CAN be normal, well I dont think there is anything normal about twitching all over nonstop when you nrver use to?!

take care and keep us posted

April

Sorry about your mom.... I used to excersize and would use nautilus equipment to strengthen my shoulders because they were weak and would freeze, very painful. No matter what i did they would not change. When i started pilates my left side always gave me troubles, i could not do the hip and leg rotations and my joint would pop the whole time. I worked both sides equally. At work we had to put hard resin child size cots on the floor at nap time, when nap time was over we stacked them up 20 of them. They were the size of a five year old. I purposely would turn to use my left arm because i noticed how weak it was. It still continued to be weak. Years later i started having muscle spasms in my chest, legs, pelvis, hands and feet. My left side was way worse and my left foot and left hand developed atrophy..... After i had the rounds of muscle spasms my body would twitch like crazy especially my thighs. I always know when a new muscle is going down because it starts twitching. The weakness started first, then muscle spasms, then twitching, and lastly muscle wasting. I have different twitches. When it is new it is like a big chunk of muscle that pulsates. Then it twitches to wear it goes bump bump lilke someone is poking me from the inside out. There is another twitch that is sneaky and random. The others can last a few minutes to all day! The last kind of twitch feels like a jiggle or like someone just shocked me, fast and quickly over. I have not been diagnosed but i am underwatch for a MND.

I just thought i would add i no longer work and i am unable to do excersizes like weight lifting or even pilates. Swimming is the only thing and walking. I can still play ball with my boys but i cant bend over, run well, and i can no longer wear a glove. I cant hold the glove in my left hand anymore, its to heavy... I can still throw a fast ball and my reflexes are amazing!

chrismya,

How long have you been twitching for? Was it after your mom was diagnoseded? Stress, caffine, lack of sleep, certain meds, and anxiety can play a major role in muscle twitching.

Actually, I WAS twitching BEFORE my mother's diagnosis. Good question.

I am on two antidepressants. My psychiatrist said they *could* possibly cause twitches.

Once my mom was diagnosed, and I started doing the research and it mentioned twitches, I almost died. I WAS TWITCHING!

Again, mine are all over, and yes, all the time. I swear, not a MINUTE in a day can go by where I do not twitch. If I take out a stop watch and count, there will usually be about 4 in a minute. All day.

Hi
Just wanna say that you probably already know that the hereditary form is very rare so if there has been only 1 person with ALS in your family it's more likely to be sporadic.
Wishing the best for you.
Dee

I just wanted to add about the twiching.

When I started twitching, I was not on any anti depressents. I am know on lexapro for the twitching and nervousness I feel about all this. So I am not sure that causes it, I know a few people on those meds and they do not twitch. so who knows.

I twitched all day everywhere, also. I just wanted to tell you that after alomost 4months of non stop twiching and myoclonus (muscle jerking) that it has calmed down ALOT. In the last week I noticed that it has twitched about 75% less! I now have random small twiching mainly in my anke or shoulder. So, I am not getting my hopes up, but the;y have abated some. Maybe yours will too. I am still weak, but the weakness has not got any worse, just not better. I am not really pushing it either.

Hang there.

april

Chrismaya,

How long how you been twitching for?

About a year this month! It started out slowly, a twitch here and there, but now they are constant, everywhere, every day. The constant state of them has been about 5 months.

I am so very sorry to hear about your mother.

But...

Go find a neurologist and get tested. You won't rest until you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back