Status
Not open for further replies.
OH Lost and BLizna

I am glad you said something! I wanted to but thought against it. I agree, these 'cells' are a gift from God!
I am all for stem cell resarch, just not from human embryo's. I think they can still do stem cell research from blood cord banking. that is from the umblical cord from babies that is loaded with stem cells. Maybe this would be a better option instead of taking embyro's that are going to grow into babies.

the only thing that gets me through the day, these days, is my faith.

I am not going to debate this, I respect others point of view. I just dont think you need to be so offensive to people (not you renee). AND if you dont believe in God or Christ or whoever.....you have faith. YOu just have faith that your hypothisis is true or faith in evolution. I chose faith in GOD. we all have choices, so I dont begrudge you what you believe.

Well, Im sorry if it was offensive to you.

People thought that lighting bolts are Gods anger, Earth is flat etc etc..today we know the truth but if you believe in your own, why not.

I dont want to debate this too, but thats why India can be further in this research - nobody there is against using stem cells from human embryos (early stages) so they can work faster..

sorry but i am with lost and april on this one.
personally as a christian i would not fund or even have stem cell treatment even if it could cure me.
and i do not believe in abortion .
in psalms 139 v16 it says "your eyes saw even the embryo of me. and in your book all its parts were down in writing,as regards the days when they were formed"
going back in time even harming a unborn baby was punishable by death.
scientists are trying to play god with cloning and other things.
i watched a film on saturday called" the island",has anyone seen it?
they were growing cloned embryos to use as body parts,but they found letting them grow into full human beings worked better.
yes you may say it is just a sifi film,but how many things have started off in a film and ended up reality.
at some point a line has to be drawn,if we loose all human ethics and values then only god can help us.
this is my opinion and not open to disccusion.
take care.
caroline

Religion...Hopefully this myth will disappear in next centuries just as oppinions that Earth is flat or that people with epilepsy are witches...

Not open to discussion too :)

I suggest stopping talking about this, we wont accept the truth of each other so why to discuss it..

Just thought I would chime in with my insight for the day...............

We have a motto where I work, we all get along, we work to take care of our patients, and we never, ever, never discuss...............

RELIGION OR POLITICS!

Just a thought,
brenda

Yes, I agree as I wrote in my previous post..no talking to this topic :)

sorry blizna

we all have personal opinions on such matters like this.
i just feel very strongly about mine,it is not completely based on religon but respect for potential human life.
i will try to keep my mouth zipped on such subjects in future:roll:
no hard feelings;-)
take care.
caroline:-D

The most advanced stem cell research is occuring in Australia at the moment. India isn't even on the map because they simply don't have the resources. I just wanted to get that out of the way to start this post.

Contrary to "popular" belief, embryonic stem cell research is done here in the United States. The problem is that most of it is not funded by the federal goverment (there is some state funded research as well as privately funded research). The labs that are funded by the federal goverment have embryonic stem cell lines that were created prior to the federal government enacting legislation to halt funding to embryonic stem cell research. All other labs that use "newer" embryonic stem cell lines have to be funded by the state or privately as I said.

We are ahead of India and most countries (not all) when it comes to this type of research . . . believe me. Most of the best science is done right here because we have the most money and the most scientists. There is no disputing this. I was a scientist myself for nearly a decade so I can speak on the subject.

As far as any stem cell therapy that is touted to help people with ALS: it is completely bogus at the moment. They aren't close to any human protocols . . . or animal protocols for that matter. The research continues however and they are making strides.

Here is the reason stem cell therapy doesn't work as of this moment:

Stem cells more or less take-on the properties of the cells they are replacing. If stem cells were to be put in the spinal cord and/or brain of those with ALS, those cells would more than likely differentiate into the same dying neurons.

Another related point:

Let's just say for sake of argument, the new stem cells differentiated into healthy neurons. They would then have to grow axons (axons are what make-up nerves) out to the muscles they are supposed to innervate (axons can be in excess of 3 feet long depending on the muscles they are growing out to). Given the fact that axons grow at a rate of about 1 to 2mm a day (25 mm is an inch by the way), that means it would take about a month for them to grow about an inch.

So for those people that say they get immediate benefits from stem cell therapy aren't getting it because of the stem cells. It is either a placebo effect or they're lying. Once again, it is totally bogus and a complete waste of money (at the moment).

What needs to be done:

The scientists have to figure out what is causing the neurons to die. Once they fix that, the stem cells will be successful. Stem cells are more than likely not going to be the thing that cures ALS. If they can get a protocol worked out, it might slow the process, but it will more than likely not fix the underlying cause.

In my opinion, it will more than likely be genetic engineering that will cure ALS (and there is plenty of that type of research going on in the U.S. and we are at the forefront) coupled with stem cells.

By the way: genetic causes and familial causes of a disease are two different things, so the genetic engineering will benefit those with sporadic ALS as well as familial ALS.

One last thing I want to discuss:

There are a few labs in the world that have shown they can turn ordinary cells into pluripotent stem cells. Pluripotent stem cells are cells that can turn into any type of cell, which is what embryonic stem cells can do. If they can successfully develop that technique, the argument over embryonic stem cells will be moot, because we simply will not need them.

P.S. They produced those pluripotent stem cells via genetic engineering

P.S.S. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from hoping . . . because there is a lot of research going on right now . . . so there is every reason for hope. Everyday is one day closer to a cure.

The original theme of this post has been hijacked. Let's get back to it. Stem cell treatments as it stands today do not work for ALS. Period. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either misinformed or lying to get your money.

AL.

Geez Al, you said it so much more concisely than I did. Maybe you should be teaching here at the university and save my students my long-winded lectures. :lol:

Yup man of few words when typing but still can be long winded in person.

AL.

Al and Wright are soooooo correct. I've read all the posts in this thread, I see the emotions and personal feelings but in the end the previous 2 posts say it all. And thats leaving religion, nationality, etc, etc out of it!
Mark

I checked a site for one of these places just today. They have blogs for former patients. Not one of the blogs had a entry past 3 months except one that had an entry last week saying the person was going back for more this week. His previous entry was in March saying he had more strength and could walk farther. Why the need for more now? He doesn't say.

AL.

No. It doesn't work that way.

Eventually someone, after years of published research, will do trials with the backing of an internationally known hospital or research centre. And then the trials will be published and there will be big announcements all over the place.

It's not going to happen in some mysterious clinic in China or Russia or India or Venezuela.

You must be apart of the medical community. LOL

I disagree with you and some of the cures in the past have happened the way I said. It is definitely possible and can come from anywhere, not just the places you mentioned. It could very well happen the way you stated as well, but that is not the only way things happen.

I like mine better, the way you propose takes to long and we will all be dead and so will our kids by the time they develop a cure your way.

sorry al,i should know better than my outburst earlier.
consider my hand slapped.

wright,i am always amazed by your abundance of knowledge and the fact you explain it in terms we can understand.

take good care.
caroline:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back