Diagnosis
10/1992
Country
US
State
NY
City
Westbury
Hello All. I have been dealing with the devastating effects of ALS for 19 years now. I would like to share this letter that I recently wrote to ALS itself.

Dear ALS,
I just wanted to drop you a few lines to tell you how I honestly feel about you. I despise you because you almost destroyed my life. You took away my dreams and you nearly took away all of my hope. You destroyed my family especially my children. Because of you my husband moved out and our children followed him. You chased away all of my friends and you left me with nobody. I was so lonely. You frightened everybody in my life including me. I couldn't understand why people wanted to stay away from me but now I know it was because of you. People don't handle death and dying very well. Imagine how scared my young children got when they found out about you, you bastard. You break up friendships. You paralyzed all of my muscles until I was totally bedridden. You threaten to take away my ability to eat and drink. I said it from the very beginning that I don't want any tubes to keep me alive. You are slowly taking away my ability to speak and you want to leave me mute. I think that's the cruelest thing to happen to anybody. Then it's impossible to communicate when you are taking away my ability to speak. ALS I really hate you. I get so sad when I am trying to speak to my children and my granddaughter and they don't know what I am saying to them. ALS you are so cruel. I wish you would go away because nobody wants you in their lives. You are so mean and you are the monster in all my nightmares and I hate you so much. I've been fighting with you for the last nineteen years now and I believe that I am winning that fight. You see I become more encouraged with each passing day. There's a lot to be said for outliving Hospice three times because I am winning this battle. I have my children back in my life again, the only thing is they are young men now. I've learned something about hope and that is when there is life there is always hope. I have hope in my life again and you can't take it away from me ever again. I have hopes and dreams back in my life and you can't ever take them back. Then some of my old friends came back and I have made so many new friends now. ALS I'm not afraid of you anymore. I am a very tough person and I can take whatever you hand me. Then I don't give up very easily and I'll fight you until the very end of me. I live each day to the fullest. Then I don't take anything for granted anymore. I try to live in the moment and I never waste time. I have a better appreciation for life now. I have so many blessings in my life and so much to live for. I love life and I am so happy and I'm very content too. This disease has made me into a better human being. I am many things to many people. First I'm a wife and a mother and a grandmother and a daughter and a sister and an aunt and a cousin and a friend. I am in a good place right now and you can't get me down because I won't let you it's that simple. You can't make me feel bitter. You can't hurt me anymore and I believe with my whole heart that I will beat you in this battle.

From, NEWDAY - My letter to a terminal disease

*Tears*
Very well said. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Well said, very excellent post! (You should post more often.)

-Tom

Fantastic! Felt like standing up and shouting with you!

well put, 19 years wow what a tease the monster has been to you. my hats off to you for not giving up. please share more of your journy

Bravo for you! Your strength shines through. God bless you and your full life!

You said it well! Like Roderick said I want to shout it with you. Then shout the victory you have in taking back the power from this crap. You go girl!

WOW! ALS IS A BEAST! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Tears streaming down my face, chills up and down my spine...you have given words to all of our struggles, all of our hopes...I stand in ovation and salute your victory in the battle...I will fight just like you, because here you have raised The Standard Banner of victory, and we cant help but march in your footsteps! If any one of us falters, and it seems the Standard may fall with us, someone will step forward and take hold, and lift it up again. This is the glorious Standard of Hope in the midst of seemingly devastating defeat. Keep bearing this Standard high,together, we are cheering, we are singing, our heartfelt wordless Song of Life.

You are definitely one of our warriors and an inspiration to those of us fighting the demon called ALS. I salute you! (now if I could just get my hand to my forehead!) :)

Every word...you were in my heart, mind, body and soul...with every word. Hugs

You are an inspiration to all. It is down in the valleys that makes us appreciate the mountains, and you are one who knows that happiness is a state of mind, not dependant upon circumstances. You are blessed here and beyond, for sure. It may be that God has granted you a longer journey to testify of that to others who need to hear it. Please keeping coming here for us.

Very well put! This is exactly how we all feel about this awful disease! Thanks for sharing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back